www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
hobbymolding.com (hobby molding web site)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: hobbymolding.com (hobby molding web site) Reply with quote

(From another thread...)

(re: www.hobbymolding.com)

Jim sez:
Quote:

Great site. All sorts of info!

Yeah. Unfortunately, there hasn't been a lot of traffic in their vacuum forming forum for a year or so... so I've plugged tk560.com over there a few times.

Dunno if I should do that... do you want random non-501st vacuum forming folks wandering over here?
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thats a good site, and I think I was a member some time ago, and have recently re-registered. My forum is open to anyone, not just 501st folks.

THanks for the plugs.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Thanks for sharing the link Dr Crash!

Lots of good information in the vacuum forming section of the board, and I'm sure there's plenty more to be found in the other topics. I see you've been busy on there Jim Smile

Boy, Vortilon is really constrained for space. He only has a whole airplane hangar for his workshop! Shocked

It sounds like his rig is working pretty good, especially with that enormous tank on the side!

Charlie
TI-386
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That site does not seem to be too active.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That site does not seem to be too active.

No, it doesn't. Kind of a ghost town. (But with a huge member list; what's up with that?)

That's one reason I've been pointing people over here.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Those forums that allow auto membership always have a lot of members, just not a lot of posting. This site, I keep the bots to a minimum, and still I get a bunch of non-living members. LOL.
Mattax
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, when I clear out my mess of a garage and other storage spaces in general, I will get back to finishing my table and post pics too! Very Happy

Stay tuned and I won't be one of the lurkers. Very Happy
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattax,

I've made a bit of progress on figuring out the geometry issues of the lift arm linkage for over-and-unders, at least with respect to throw. I will post something soon.

(I haven't figured out anything about leverage issues yet.)

Paul
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 2:09 am    Post subject: Ralis, undead Reply with quote

Quote:
Those forums that allow auto membership always have a lot of members, just not a lot of posting. This site, I keep the bots to a minimum, and still I get a bunch of non-living members. LOL.

Funny. I looked at the members list, sorted descending by join date, last night. Noticed that the first few (most recent) members looked suspicious---a couple with pharmaceutical names in their URLs, for example.

I just looked again and they're gone. I guess you deleted some nonliving members.

Now the most recent joiner is "Ralis." Not sure he's living, either. Might be undead.

Everybody check out his waycool stuff.

http://www.ralisfx.com/
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 13, 2006 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh yes, he most certainly is un-dead!

He posted an over under vacuum table tutorial:
http://www.halloweenfear.com/vacuumformintro.html

Plus, the rest of his site (http://www.halloweenfear.com/) has ALL kinds of costuming and monster making information. Absolutely fantastic stuff!

I am very glad to see he has joined the boards, and have sent him a message saying "thanks for sharing!"

Hopefully he'll have more to share here!

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 15, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He posted an over under vacuum table tutorial:
http://www.halloweenfear.com/vacuumformintro.html

Yep. Seeing that was one of the things that got me off my ass to build a vacuum former.

Check this out, if the eBay link still works when you see this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=320036798445&indexURL=4&photoDisplayType=2#ebayphotohosting

Apparently people are selling portable-grill-and-cookie-sheet over-and-under's for about $900 new. They'll sell you overpriced odd-sized plastic for it, too.

They've camouflaged the grill and added a heavier duty hinged clamping frame, but other than that, it's almost identical to Ralis's. (They are using a portable grill as a heat source; the instructions warn against trying ot use it for barbecuing.)

I will gladly sell my portable grill over-and-under for half that. Smile

(I'll bet mine works better, too. And it comes apart for compact storage...)

Of course, mine doesn't look so pro, what with with the binder clips holding the flashing on the 1 x 2's, using the switch on a power strip as a footswitch, etc...

But for a mere $1299.99, I'll wire you a custom oven, and include a vacuum cleaner inside the base box. I'll throw in a two-stage port for your high vac. Heck, I'll paint it any color you like, wire it for stereo, and throw in a subwoofer. (Why waste a fair-sized MDF box?)

Quote:
Plus, the rest of his site (http://www.halloweenfear.com/) has ALL kinds of costuming and monster making information. Absolutely fantastic stuff!

I don't think that's Ralis's site in the sense of being mainly his. He's contributed several interesting articles, though. (The link I gave is to a site that's clearly his.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: