www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
TI-386's 24 x 32" oven wiring question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stick

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 12:47 pm    Post subject: TI-386's 24 x 32" oven wiring question Reply with quote

Hi guys,
I'm building TI-386's 24 x 32" version of the table. I understan the wiring will have to be different than the 24 x 24 model
Can you please tell me how much nichrome wire you used for the oven and the layout? Thankyou very much!
rob
stick

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok I looked throught the forum posts and found crashmanns posting under ohms.
looks like I'll be making exactly that table. I have ordered the nichrome wire, ceramic doughnuts, and standoffs. I have 2, 20 amp circuits available.
Ohms to me is some foriegn language that hurts my head ..lol I am more into visual arts, not #'s. So I figure I'll follow your wiring advice of stretching the wire till the fuse blows, then push it back together a little. I'll have to reread the thread to make sure I get it right.

Am I missing anything here?
Anyone have anything they want to suggest here?

I already have the clamping frame done, and the vacuum table is in the process of bieng finished.
I am using steel for the vacuum table top instead of aluminum top, because i have it here.. I guess i'll spray some clear coat on it to prevent rust. hopefullyu that will work just as good as aluminum.

Ok guys,
any hints comment or constuctive criticism is welcome at this point!
Thank you!
rob
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob!

I used 40" of tightly coiled nichrome wire, then stretched it out to 500" (that's how long the coils wound around the oven base). This should work for a single 20 amp circuit (with the oven being the ONLY thing on that circuit!) Use the second 20 amp circuit for your shop vac or vacuum pump.

One of my goals with the nichrome wire was to have it as one continuous piece all the way around the oven. Once you've stretched it too far, and cut it off, there's no way to squeeze it back together Sad But, with 10' of tightly coiled wire to play with, I was able to find the breaking point with the first wire. Then I just cut a new piece slightly longer, and used that for the final heater coil.

A steel topped platen is very nice. I have to remind folks to NOT cut on my platen, since it's only 22 gauge aluminum, and a utility knife will go right through it! If there's a cut that has to be made on the platen, I use a plastic kitchen cutting board underneath.

Good luck with your table, and of course, post pictures!

Charlie
TI-386
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
stick

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Charlie,
Thanks for the response! Got the vacuum table done today, I'll post pics as soon as I get something worth looking at. Ok off to strech some wire!
Thanks again !
Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: