www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Suitability of Z-28 zinc alloy for VF molds?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:56 am    Post subject: Suitability of Z-28 zinc alloy for VF molds? Reply with quote

My wire reinforced, water putty molds seem to be good for about 100 pulls, If I'm really lucky. I've looked into the alum filled resins and feel they also have to short a life span to suit me. Alum. molds seem the best choice, and as soon as I scratch up $500, I'll build the furnace, and assorted tools needed.... In the meantime, I do have what it takes to do an investment casting, lost wax, gravity pour, of Z28 zinc alloy. My molds are small 6"x6"x4" and would be face cast with 3/8" walls, thicker if needed, no bottom, hollow. I know the safety issues involved with melting zinc, I just don't know if Z28 is a good enough metal for this application.... Anyone have any thoughts on this use of zinc alloys for molds of this type?..............Fredo
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know about Z27, high strength stuff for Zinc.... should make wonderfull tools. I prefer aluminum, but tools made of this should be good.
kayaker43
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kwik Kast resin from BCC industries is the best I've found. It needs no degassing, No post curing, easy 50/50 mix, negligible shrinkage or exotherm. Its also about half the price of other fussier resins. The end result should have unlimited life as a vacuum form tool?

Anyone know where I can get some simple aluminum castings made. The old parts can most likely be used for patterns.

Also other plans books and videos for people who like to build things
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: