www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
inside corner detail (*^&%(*&%(^%&*!!!!!????
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ROYAL RED

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post deleted.

Last edited by ROYAL RED on Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
ROYAL RED

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Post deleted.

Last edited by ROYAL RED on Tue Nov 07, 2006 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Robin,

You seem to be suffering the same problem I had when I had my 'perforated' platen.I just couldn't seem to get sharp pulls at all.I ended up just having one big hole in the middle of the table and it works like a dream for me now.

All I can suggest is to try drilling tiny holes on every line/crevice about 1/2 inch apart.This will definately help getting a better pull.You can also let you plastic sag more.Let it sag as far as you dare without over heating,then pull it.

I don't think changing your mould material will solve the problem.It's down to heating the plastic properly and venting the mould correctly.All my moulds are hollow and I use steel wire to drill the holes.Steel wire is really good stuff as you can drill deep and through your moulds where a regular drill bit wouldn't be long enough and usually snaps too.

Hope this helps you out Very Happy

-Paul.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
TKBIG

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TKBIG here.
Yep I agree with Paul. If you heat the material to sag a little more and also cut out the bottom quite a bit more you should get a very sharp pull.

Are you going to the back flat portion out after you get your pull down?

The portion I'm talking about is the flat side, opposite from the pointed end when the mold is placed like your vac-ing it.

You might want to consider cutting that out of the mold itself and deliberately letting it undercut to get a better detail on the pull.

That is if you are going to trim that section out after you pull.

Hope that all made sense.
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2006 3:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitely good suggestions above! You may also want to try pressing on the plastic with a piece of wood as you're forming the grooves. This may help you get the edge detail you are looking for. However, this may also lock the plastic down on your mold too tight.

I also like the idea of a reverse mold. The finished surface is actually against your mold. But you'll definitely need to fill, sand, primer, sand, and smooth the mold to avoid wood grain showing in the plastic.

I would agree that you are reaching the limit of vac forming plastic. The process just doesn't lend itself to sharp corners (believe me, I have lots of experience with failed hard corners on my molds Smile )

Good luck!

Charlie
TI-386
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: