www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Tip of the Week: 20 JULY 06

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Tip of the Month
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2006 12:45 pm    Post subject: Tip of the Week: 20 JULY 06 Reply with quote

Finding the right materials and tools really makes any project go together faster, easier and better than trying to make do. If you are buildng a house, fixing a car, or making props this applies to all. Here is my list of suppliers that I use for most of my hobby needs:

For vacuum form plastic
www.professionalplastics.com
just do a search for HISs [high-impact styrene sheet] I get the .060, .080, and .093 in white, and I sometimes get .080 in black. Good stuff, and shipping is fast for me, as there is a warehouse some 2 hours away.

For resin:
www.artmolds.com
Just do a search for Pour-a-Kast mkII
I know, there are better resins out there, but I started out with this stuff, and still like it. It has help up well for my needs. At $65 for a2 gallons kit, I like the price too!

www.smooth-on.com
just do a search for liquid plastics, Smooth-Cast 325 'color match'. This stuff is great, can be dyed any color, and has a bit more flex to it than regular resins.

For Silicone Mold material:
www.bare-metal.com
Just search for silicone mold making material. I like the PolyTek Plasil 71-20, a 1:1 ratio platinum cured silicone. 4 hours and it's ready to start using. Other silicones are either tin cured, [can't take as much heat] or are 10:1 or worse, and require a gram scale to measure, or cost a lot more.

For tools:
Local Home Depot, Lowes, and ACE Hardware stores, and of course Harbor Freight. I don't buy many tools online.

Building materials such as MDF boards, sand paper, etc. I use Lowes mostly.

For CA adhesives, and Industrial Velcro, and elastic I use Hobby Lobby, but sometimes I can find this stuff on sale elsewhere.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Tip of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: