www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Tip of the Week: 26-JULY-06

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Tip of the Month
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Tip of the Week: 26-JULY-06 Reply with quote

Well, I posted this over in the costume section, but I wanted to post here as well.

PETG is a clear material, perfect for vacuum forming. It is a bit harder to form than HIPS but not as hard as ABS. And it cost a bit more than HIPS, but for clear parts, it's better than the alternatives, like acrylic. Not as brittle, but still requires a saw to trim out.

Anyways, I wanted to make some see-through visors for both my RFT helmets, and for the X-wing helmets to be used in the fan film. PETG is great, BUT, it only comes in clear. What should I do? The RFT helmets are a smoke gray, and the X-wing amber in color. No chance finding these two colors 'off-the-shelf'.

RIT Fabric Dye is a comon item that can be found at WalMart, so I decided, what the heck. Maybe, if I got lucky, I could get some of the dye to stain the plastic?

So, I put a pot of hot water on the stove, large enough to dip the visor in. I got it hot, but not boiling. I also wanted to wash the part in some cold water, so I found another large pot and let some ice melt in there as the hot water warmed up. By the time it was ready, the ice was all melted, and I had a cooling bath for the dyed parts.

I emptied the contents of one RIT Dye black packets into the hot water and stirred. Next, I took the clear visor, and dipped it into the hot water. A few seconds at first. Then a dip in the cool bath. Back and forth I went. Hot, cold. Hot, cold. Each time leaving the visor in the hot water longer. After only a few seconds, [no more than 10] the part would start to distort under the heat. Hence the cool bath.

After only a few dips, the dye really started to show up on the visor, nice and even, with no streaks or water-drop marks. WOW! This really worked! After a good soak in the cool bath, I found it very hard to remove the dye from the visor! Stained, just like I wanted.

My next attempt is a few more PETG visors dyed dark gray. You can see through them just fine, with almost no distortion! I suppose that IF I had left the part in the hot water long enough, it would go completely opaque!

Trooper helmet lens material can be dyed green, Boba Fett visors from comon face shields dyed black, oh, the list goes on!

I want to test this on HIPS as well as other parts too. This might be a great way to change the colors of plastic, not just tinting.

Anyways, I wanted to share another tip, for you vacuum formers.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Tip of the Month All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: