www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
oven rewired,ten times hotter.made it like a 2 zone oven
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
harley guy
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: oven rewired,ten times hotter.made it like a 2 zone oven Reply with quote

ok,i was having a little problem with my first wired oven.it wasnt hot enough,and was taking way to long to heat the plastic.(14 mins a sheet).so i posted a post,about my problem and the great people of this site,helped me out.thanks again.ok they said to stretch out the wire more.to get more volts threw it.because they were getting the plastic to heat up in half the time(4-7 minutes).so i did and had great results.my oven is 24x36,with a 5 segment wiring design.i used on the first oven 40 inches of unstretched wire and it was to cold.iam not a electrician of any sort.so i figured they were getting half the time to heat the plastic then i did,so i used 20 inches of unstrecthed wire this time. stretched it to the sizes i needed for each segment.and rewired the oven.turned it on and was amzed how much hotter it was.looked like the inside of a toaster.the coils were rosy red.so i tried a pull and it heated up in half the time(6minutes).but was geting a little problem with the sides of the plastic not heating that good.so i decided i would mess with the oven a little more.so i decided i would try to make the outer rings of the oven, to get them hotter then the center of the oven. so took 1 inch off the last 2 segments.so i shortened the last 2 segments of my unstrecthed coil by 1 inch for the last 2 segments.so the first 3 segments had 4 inches of unstretched wire and the last 2 segments had 3 inches of unstretched wire,18 inches of unstretched wire total.so i turned it on and the outer rings you could see easly they were getting hotter then the center.so i tried another pull and worked great,no problem with the sides of the plastic at all.my best pull so far and my fastest (5minutes to heat).so iam happy and iam done with the oven.thanks again everyone
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Excellent news!

Playing with the wiring can be daunting at first, but after you realize it's just a toaster, and you overcome your fear, then you get great results from your rig.

This is what we mean by "tweaking" and "tuning" your oven!

Charlie
TI-386
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
AlterEgos
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome! That's what I love about this board, no playground politics to get in the way, just straight shootin' information from a great group of people. Sharing the love is what it's all about... group hug! Very Happy
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great news! Glad that works better for you. Any pics of your oven?

Did you build a new one, or just 'tweak' the original?

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
harley guy
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Did you build a new one, or just 'tweak' the original?
tweaked the first oven.but built a new flip top design though Very Happy .i had some time at my shop and allready cut my materials,before i rewired the oven.so i decided i would build a new table.still putting the finishing touches on it.just some switchs need wiring but here is a pic of it.if you look close at the flip top.i have the oven on and you can see the orange of the wire
[img][/img][img][/img]
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW!

Nice! Are you scrapping the over/under machine?

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
harley guy
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

havnt decided yet.going to do some pulls and tests and see which one i like best[/quote]
AlterEgos
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2006 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Man that ROCKS!!! Wish I was good with metal, your rig looks so clean and sturdy. Cool
plasticfan
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 1:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

harley guy....

I aluded to this in another thread but how much of the heating problem do you think might be a result of heat loss rather, ie without the cement backer board rather than wiring problems. ....Im just worried that the juice will flip my breaker.
harley guy
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 3:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
harley guy....

I aluded to this in another thread but how much of the heating problem do you think might be a result of heat loss rather, ie without the cement backer board rather than wiring problems. ....Im just worried that the juice will flip my breaker.

i dont really get heat loss from the rig,that much.because i made my oven with a shroud,around it.so my frame goes up inside my oven 2.5 inches.makes it like a pizza oven
Mattax
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you mount the ceramic spacers to the metal? I am looking to do this in a 24x24 stainless steel oven box that is waiting for me to pick up tomorrow. But I want to wire it for 220volts. Any help on both of these issues will be greatly appreciated.
Mattax
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2006 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BUMP.

Please let me know how you mounted the ceramic spacers to the metal oven box.

Thanks.
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattax,

Which kind of ceramic thing do you have---the post type where you put a bolt through the middle, or the donut type like Harley Guy uses.

Donuts are usually mounted on a steel wire or thin steel strip, which is bent around the equator of the donut, fitting in a slot that goes around there. (With the nichrome coil going through the donut hole.)

This lets you make some kind of metal strip that has little strips or wires sticking up, with their ends wrapped around the donuts. You bolt that bigger strip (holding any number of donuts) to your oven.

I'm not sure what the easiest way to do that is. (For mass-produced heating assemblies, they're usually stamped out of thin steel and bent to shape.) You could do it with one long wire, bent up, around, and back down at each donut, and zig-zagging in between so that it can't flop over sideways.
Mattax
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not have any kind yet, as I am trying to decide what will be best application, since I need to make a post to bring the outer ring of the heating element spiral down to the opening of the box.

So in any case, I need to mount the wire to the stainless steel. Not sure what would be best so as not to make holes in the oven top.
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
So in any case, I need to mount the wire to the stainless steel. Not sure what would be best so as not to make holes in the oven top.

Are you trying to avoid drilling any holes at all in the oven top, or just trying to keep the number reasonable?

Either way, you might want to try using some kind of coarse wire grid across the inside of the top of the oven. You could cut pieces of wire loose where you need to, and bend them up (down) to make supports that go around donuts. If you're not drilling any holes at all, you'd also need some stiffening across the middle and supports around the edges, to keep it up at the top.

(I tend to prefer aluminum to stainless for ovens; it's lighter, easier to cut and drill, and very reflective in the IR range.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: