www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Over/under table and oven design
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not that bad mate. You can easily build a new oven for less than £50/$100. Get a sheet of 18 guage sheet metal from a metal stock holders yard (no hardware store-much cheaper direct) and cut the oven walls using a jig-saw. Rivet them together using some 1/2" angle iron or similar. You only need to make the oven walls, and use the calcium silicate for the oven base. Line the walls with the calcium too. Bolt on some 1" anlge iron to the oven base so it faces outwards, and use these to hang the oven from your chassis. Earth/ground the metal walls using the wire from your electrical supply. Here's mine for reference...

These pics are of the unfinished machine, but you get the idea of the oven design.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Mattax
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Apr 20, 2008 10:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since my stainless steel oven box with mounts is already made and the plastic holding frames are here, I am going to use strip heaters on the top frame to ensure that it is heated up to prevent the cold edges of the plastic. I can get them from Mc-master Carr and would need four of them along with some coiled SO cord to move up and down with the frame.

Another nice thing about my set up is the 8020 is changable even though the oven box is not. That means I can create a smaller inner frame to mount smaller sheets of plastic. I will, of course, have to create a smaller platen for it to go over as the 24x24 would be too large. With a few more 8020 parts, I could easily support the smaller platen. Now, to go larger than 24 x 24, I have to create a larger oven and a larger platen. Both ideas are for future reference.

TO DO LIST:

I need to order the niachrome wire and standoffs and build a plate to mount them inside the oven. I will then use standoffs to bring the heating element down to the 6 inches as mentioned.

I already have an oven to strip for the heating controls and over temp sensor.

On the plastic holding frame, I have two rodless air cylinders to move it up and down and a small pancake air compressor to provide the air to move it. I just need the air fittings and mounts for the cylinders to the frame.

Vaccum pump lines, valves, guages, and mounts still need to be obtained. I have a few parts already. I am using NW25 fittings throughout except where the lines meet the Epoxy Lined Vac tank as it is NPT fittings.

Upon searchng this site recently I have seen that the set up for the platen to vac tank to pump is different than this fashion. What is the best set up? Should I set up my system for both methods?

PLATEN - VAC TANK - PUMP
PLATEN - TEE - PUMP - TEE - VAC TANK

If for both set ups then it would simply be a matter of adding extra ball valves and Tees.

On the vacuum pump. I have the Edwards E2M28 but the fan housing for the motor is crushed. I will need to get a new fan housing or possibly motor. I am hoping that he seller did not cheat me and did in fact sell me a working pump. What I am concerned with is the oil is black. A complete rebuild kit is $334. I guess that is better than buying a whole new/used pump.

Electrical switches and wiring to tie the oven controls together. I probably already have most of it.
fast_monte
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is what I used http://www.globalindustrial.com/gcs/product/productInfo.web?&infoParam.itemKey=30018704&infoParam.picGroupKey=2621

This get you all of the oven sides, frame, and and cart all for $200. With no fabrication. For the oven top I use a piece of sheet AL and backed it with a piece of hardybacker to stem heat loss and protect people from burns.

Here is what I have done with it, http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2801269830014575130atrVji?vhost=good-times

You could still use this system with the wire type heater. I used 5 Cal-rods at nearly $100 a piece. My machine draws 32 amps and I can start making pulls in less than 5 minutes.
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The first thing on your to do list should be to drain your pump. The oil is really dirty or it's the wrong oil. Both conditions are bad news for the pump. Unless the E2-M28 takes a special pump oil, you probably should be using a non-detergent high viscosity mineral oil. Clean oil is a must for your pump. I found pump oil at my local air conditioning parts and supply store. A gallon of J/B vacuum pump oil cost me $18 a year ago......Fredo
Mattax
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fredo wrote:
The first thing on your to do list should be to drain your pump. The oil is really dirty or it's the wrong oil. Both conditions are bad news for the pump. Unless the E2-M28 takes a special pump oil, you probably should be using a non-detergent high viscosity mineral oil. Clean oil is a must for your pump. I found pump oil at my local air conditioning parts and supply store. A gallon of J/B vacuum pump oil cost me $18 a year ago......Fredo

Absolutely! I was just mentioning that the oil was black which I know is not a good thing, but was also hoping that the condition of the pump is still ok and will not require a rebuild.

Alcatel Oil will work, it is the correct oil for the mechanical vane pump.
Mattax
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fast_monte wrote:
This is what I used http://www.globalindustrial.com/gcs/product/productInfo.web?&infoParam.itemKey=30018704&infoParam.picGroupKey=2621

This get you all of the oven sides, frame, and and cart all for $200. With no fabrication. For the oven top I use a piece of sheet AL and backed it with a piece of hardybacker to stem heat loss and protect people from burns.

Here is what I have done with it, http://good-times.webshots.com/photo/2801269830014575130atrVji?vhost=good-times

You could still use this system with the wire type heater. I used 5 Cal-rods at nearly $100 a piece. My machine draws 32 amps and I can start making pulls in less than 5 minutes.

Very cool.

I am not knocking anyone's set up, I just have a vision and a plan for my set up. By using the 8020 aluminum extrusion it is changable - all except for the platen and oven box which will need a new one of each should I change the size for a larger machine area. The 8020 just need to change the cross members for a larger size and create smaller frames for a smaller size.
cod
Master

PostPosted: Wed Apr 23, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

that 80/20 looks like a lot of fun to work with - very aesthetically satisfying. How does it compare in price to slotted steel found in most hardware stores ? (which is almost as modular and adjustable)
Mattax
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cod wrote:
that 80/20 looks like a lot of fun to work with - very aesthetically satisfying. How does it compare in price to slotted steel found in most hardware stores ? (which is almost as modular and adjustable)

The differences off hand are that the aluminum is lighter in weight and is anodized to prevent oxidation.
kayaker43
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The difference is that 80/20 is insanely expensive $$$$$$$$$$$

Also other plans books and videos for people who like to build things
cod
Master

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 10:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattax wrote:

The differences off hand are that the aluminum is lighter in weight and is anodized to prevent oxidation.

huh . are planning on moving it around a lot for the next couple centuries ? Wink

that's the only reason I can think those things will matter.
Mattax
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cod wrote:
Mattax wrote:

huh . are planning on moving it around a lot for the next couple centuries ? Wink

that's the only reason I can think those things will matter.

You'd be surprised at how fast metal will oxidize. The original lower half of the platen chamber was carbon steel and it rusted a lot of its surface in the 2 years it sat in my shed. I had a new one remade in stainless steel.

The reason I am using 8020 is the versatility of it. Cut to fit and changable.

Yes, expensive, but I then I am writing it off with my business.

I will get back to more assembly of the table in about 4 weeks. Figure out what I need to mount the rodless air cylinders and hopefully assemble the oven wiring.
cod
Master

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mattax wrote:

You'd be surprised at how fast metal will oxidize. The original lower half of the platen chamber was carbon steel and it rusted a lot of its surface in the 2 years it sat in my shed. I had a new one remade in stainless steel.

ah , the shed part makes it clear to me. Virginia probably gets its share of humidity as well. Be interested to know how your heating elements hold up in this environment.
Mattax
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cod wrote:
Mattax wrote:

ah , the shed part makes it clear to me. Virginia probably gets its share of humidity as well. Be interested to know how your heating elements hold up in this environment.

While I cannot control the humidity, the shed is insulated on all walls and ceiling except for the ridge vent and the floor is not insulated either and has an exhaust fan to keep the temp to 80 degrees in the summer.

I can adjust the exhaust fan to pull more hot air out and I have two AC window units. They can get the shed down to the 50's if I need it to. I was thinking of making something to cover up the ridge vent and then put a lattice skirt around the outside of the shed.

So, will the niachrome wiring have problems?
fast_monte
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 80/20 stuff is expensive, but save a lot of time and aggravation. My machine was on a tight deadline so I used it, and would use it again. The cost was less than $300 for all of the 80/20 parts including the linear bearings. This machine paid for its self on the second job I used it for. I do prototype clamshell packaging for my company. Having it done out side is slow and expensive.
fast_monte
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 24, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a link for the place that I buy it, http://www.use-enco.com/CGI/INPDFF?PMPAGE=980&PMCTLG=00 There is an EBAY store that sells odds and ends at a discount.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: