www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Digitally 'Restored' TOS episodes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:54 am    Post subject: Digitally 'Restored' TOS episodes Reply with quote

I'm not sure if anyone has seen them, I know I have not, but as part of Star Trek's 40th anniversary, the original series is getting a HD makeover. The FX shots are being updated with new CGI, and the transfer is from the original film negatives. From what I have seen on www.startrek.com the results look great, but are subtle.

You can only see them on 'broadcast' channels, not G4 or TVLand as they are running the 'standard' versions.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Nov 01, 2006 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen a couple of episodes and found the update to be very subtle. Of course, I was watching it on my crappy TV in the basement.

One of the things I noticed right away was the vibrant color of the uniforms and sets. Wow, the 60's were very bright!

Initially I was watching the external shots very closely for CG artifacts, or giveaways (my wife and I have a little saying... "You can tell it's computer graphics, it's all crappy looking!") However, the replacement footage did not stick out blatantly. It was blended in very nicely. Shortly, I forgot to watch for the external shots and just enjoyed the show!

I think it's a great improvement to the series, and I'm looking forward to owning them on DVD (because you know they'll have to release them eventually!)

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Vaderman

PostPosted: Sat Nov 18, 2006 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen several of these and think they are okay. The restoration of the original film is outstanding, to the point that it is disturbing to see how much make-up everyone is wearing!

I think the ship looks CGI, especially the nacelle tips. In a particular episode, "Catspaw" there is a shot of Big E crossing a planet and the lighting is coming from the opposite side as the planet's lighting!
D'oh!
The cleaned up phasers look amazing, though they "decided" that they should always be blue. In TOS they are blue and red at different times. I always attributed this to different power settings, etc. and was sad to hear they would all be blue in these versions.

Also, they have cut so much more out now (especially after watching them on DVD with no cuts) that it's hard to watch them.
I think they'll be a "must have" when they hit DVD, but I'm not scrying if I miss them run "live."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Star Trek Talk All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: