www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Propane -> Vacuum tank

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RRK4
Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:03 am    Post subject: Propane -> Vacuum tank Reply with quote

So I converted a couple of 20lb tanks. It was pretty easy and I was able to get a good seal.

My question is does anyone know how many gallons of vacuum a 20lb propane tank holds?
gadgetman

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:21 am    Post subject: Re: Propane -> Vacuum tank Reply with quote

RRK4 wrote:
So I converted a couple of 20lb tanks. It was pretty easy and I was able to get a good seal.

My question is does anyone know how many gallons of vacuum a 20lb propane tank holds?

I believe it is 5 gallons, pretty sure but not 100%
RRK4
Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeh thats basically it I think.

I think you are supposed to get a little under 5 gallons of LP but it always seems like there is still a lot of space, even in a full tank, so I was wondering if someone knew a specific number.

It probably doesn't matter anyway. I have built a tiny machine. The platen ended up being just 8.5"x14" and I piped a two stage shop vac + check valve + plus ball valve + tank ala one of drcrash's diagrams. I just like to know as much as I can about things I'm building from scratch/scrap.

Would you guys tick the other 20 lb tank on there or maybe just leave the vac pump running on the back end of the tank?

Last edited by RRK4 on Wed May 25, 2011 6:38 am; edited 1 time in total
spektr
Master

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4.71 but lets not get too picky, ....
RRK4
Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 6:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

spektr wrote:

Sorry I edited while you were posting.

Would you guys stick the other 20 lb tank on there or maybe just leave the vac pump running on the back end of the tank?
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RRK4 wrote:
spektr wrote:

Sorry I edited while you were posting.

Would you guys stick the other 20 lb tank on there or maybe just leave the vac pump running on the back end of the tank?

Are you using a shop vac or a vacuum pump? Big difference between the two on how much vacuum (inHg) is pulled.

A shop vac has rather low total vacuum (inHg) but moves lots of air. With the high CFM of a shop vac you almost certainly don't need a tank with the small platen.
However, if you're actually using a vac pump then the 20lb (4.71glln) tank should be plenty. If you loose too much vacuum on initial pull then add a second tank.
my .o2, DougN
RRK4
Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2011 9:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jdougn wrote:

Are you using a shop vac or a vacuum pump? Big difference between the two on how much vacuum (inHg) is pulled.

Both, Ive got the two stage one tank system.

I figure I will just run the shop vac and pull my plastic into place then open the tank and if I need to I could flip the pump back on to hold it down.

I am actually trying to use it to make mother molds for my silicone glove molds so I am anticipating trying to pull a fairly thick plastic but not worried about fine detail and webbing might actually be good for what I need.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: