www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
funky vacuum forming of "airplanes" (RC model and

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 17, 2006 11:11 am    Post subject: funky vacuum forming of "airplanes" (RC model and Reply with quote

A couple of epic threads on people making model airplanes.

This one is really a computer case in the shape of a chubbified 737:

http://www.gruntville.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=15519

It's an amazing award-winning "case mod" (actually a scratch build) which is featured all over the web and even in some magazines recently.

The guy reinvented a lot of wheels to build a kludged-together vacuum former to do it, making and more or less fixing several common mistakes. He did do one very interesting thing though---he came up with a telescoping flip-flop design that brings the plastic down straighter. The hinge is on the opposite side of the oven from the platen. You raise the plastic up on the hinge, telescope it over the platen, and lower it. His implementation is pretty flimsy, but it seems like a cool idea.

The thread is a 33-page "build log" so you may want to skip or skim it.

But do watch this movie:

http://www.engelads.com/publicfiles/Boddaker/Video/vacuform.wmv

This other epic thread is about the vacuum-forming of a whole Starship. (A model of the kind of plane Vortilon makes real parts for.)

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=131782

It's a beautiful plane, but what I mainly find interesting about it is the techniques for vacuum forming stiff foams in cavity molds.

Unfortunately, after the guy was successful once, he gave up because he couldn't repeat his success, and went back to balsa construction. (Some day I want to try this and figure out what variables he failed to control, so I could do it reliably.) There are people who do this regularly, but it's a black art that some people are secretive about, for business reasons.
Vortilon

PostPosted: Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suggested that the starship modeler use a vacuum formed styrene skin to cover the model. I think he likes the idea, should make for a easier kit to build.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Nov 23, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool Stuff. I like that telescoping holding frame! Up, over, and down!

Neat! Thanks for sharing!

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 24, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my many moments of mentally conceptualizing my future vac-forming table, the issue of having the "finish" side directly exposed to the heat source bothered me because of any inclusions that may form on the surface, like pitting or surface wrinkles, etc. THIS idea has pretty much nailed it for me to make a "pull and slide" vac-form table instead of the "over-under" or "flip-flop" design... now to further think through the logistics and production consequences/issues it may present!

Nice find Drcrash!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: