www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Mini Vacuum Forming Table

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
thebluecanary
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 3:56 pm    Post subject: Mini Vacuum Forming Table Reply with quote

I do a lot of model making, and a lot of superhero actionfigure like construction. I am getting ready to make my mini setup, and thought I would ask those great and wise what way I should go.

I was just going to uses an old toaster oven my mom had. Build a frame that would would silde inside, and then clamp it down to base that I have a shop vac on.

What do you think?

PS I normally do 4.5" action figures.
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How big are you thinking of making it? Not that big since you say your figures are about 4.5 inches. A toaster should work, I mean, its not like your going to havet to heat up a 2'x2' sheet. Shop vac will work fine BTW.

-tubachris
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You'll have to let us know how that works. I was thinking of doing something like this a panel on vacuforming I might be doing next year at a local on con.
thebluecanary
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I got my oven last night, YEAH MOM. And this thing is huge! (Well, at least big for a toaster oven). It is at least 2 feet wide. The sheets I get from the hobbie shop are 12" x 7". I was planing on doing 6"X 7" for my pulls. But I am not sure on the inner size yet of the oven. I pulled it out of the car and just gave it a quick once over before dinner. I'll poke at it more tonight, and I hope that next weekend I will have time to attack it.

It has a full range of cooking settings. Heat upto 450 with a broil setting! I am thinking this will be the setting I uses. its going to be fun to play with.

Hmmm... I think I need a new shop vac now. hehe. My little one isn't going to be good enough. hehehe
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thebluecanary wrote:
Well, I got my oven last night, YEAH MOM. And this thing is huge! (Well, at least big for a toaster oven). It is at least 2 feet wide. The sheets I get from the hobbie shop are 12" x 7". I was planing on doing 6"X 7" for my pulls.

[...]

Hmmm... I think I need a new shop vac now. hehe. My little one isn't going to be good enough. hehehe

Hobby shop plastic prices are generally a huge ripoff. A 4 x 8 sheet of thin plastic from a local plastics supplier only costs about $15-25, and you can cut it into a whole bunch of little sheets. (Find a local plastics supplier with no minimum order, or a low one, or one who'll waive the minimum for "will call" pickups.)

Shop vacs are usually not a good deal, either, unless you want one to use as a shop vac. You can find a canister vacuum cleaner for $5 at the Goodwill Outlet Store that pulls as hard as a shop vac.

Tired of buying cheap plastic crap? Now you can make your own! www.VacuumFormerPlans.com
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 21, 2007 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in my expereince (barely a year's worth), shop vacs are great!
I use a RIGID brand wet/dry vac from home depot
4 gallons, 5 peak horsepower, YES! Very Happy
(that's PEAK HP, not average HP)

-------------------------------------------------------

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: