www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Building my oven--quick question.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Witchking

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 11:15 am    Post subject: Building my oven--quick question. Reply with quote

I'm doing the wiring now, and had a really quick (and probably stupid) question. I have Jim's book and TJ's book, and neither of them address it that I've been able to find:

When the nichrome wire is connected to the electric terminal posts, is it simply fastened to the ceramic posts like all of the other wire, or do I need to loop it under the wingnut of each post and clamp it down? I think I should use the wingnut, but knowing my luck, I would be wrong and my table would catch on fire. Shocked
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2010 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The nichrome must be tightly anchored to the terminals. If not, some of the coil runs may act really weird. I wrap the nichrome between two washers then tighten the nut down tight. Occasionally I double check since they can loosen up after awhile.
hth, DougN
Witchking

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2010 6:07 am    Post subject: Wiring Reply with quote

So on posts A, B, C, D, and E, you wrap the nichrome around the post, between the two top washers, and tighten the wingnut down? So the nichrome will actually sit close to the top of the ceramic posts when I'm done? Sorry, but I'm trying to make sure I have this straight.
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2010 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry for the slow response. Been rather busy lately.

It won't hurt either the nichrome or the ceramic if they touch. Just make sure you get a good tight connection on the nichrome. It is not uncommon to see cotter pins used to simply hold the nichrome in place then bolts, nuts, & washers used for electrical connections. Read through the ProtoForm build thread.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: