www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Darktrooper Progress thread (Pic intensive!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just making a status update.

Not giving up, just taking my time. The move put some damage on the helmet sculpt, but nothing that cannot be fixed. I'm thinking about re-working some details on the face for more accuracies, and might throw in some small details that are reminicent of real TK helmets, but nothing to sway it from accuracy.

The jetpack that I spent time scratchbuilding, well, completly fell apart, and I've pretty much scrapped it, save what pieces that I can keep. I was planning on re-doing the jetpack anyways, but it still sucks. Lesson learned though.

My dad has been renovatiing my grandfather's house, and say's that I can use his seperate garage/building as a workshop when he's done getting permits, etc. So I'll have a place to work on this armor, indoors and have alot of space.

I will be re-building a vac-former, with help hopefully. Reusing pieces from my original former. I can't say when this will all actually take place, but I'm expecting to begin sometime during the winter or sometime AFTER I return from Army basic next year. I need a solid income before I can really do what I need for this project. After what happend to my jetpack, I want to do things right the first time, so I don't have to repeat anything again.

-TC
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Oct 13, 2009 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dude, sorry to hear what happened to your progress. But like you said: lesson learned for next time, now is the journey to recover and make a BETTER project. Smile

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Oct 14, 2009 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I feel your pain! Some of the early projects I scratch built and were the most proud of, fell apart, or were easily crushed.

Keep us posted on your progress.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Fri Oct 16, 2009 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yea, it just feels like I wasted time and materials after throwing them out Sad

I wanted to let you all know that there will be a major change to this project depending on certain circumstances. I'm going to continue and finish the current helmet, but I've decided to take a more "original" turn on this.

I'll keep ya'll updated

-TC
Master

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking alot about this lately. I feel bad about the lack of attention I should have given this. I find that having a job now is really going to get me moving along with this when I get back.

My biggest goal is to get this helmet done. I haven't completly decided yet, but if things are looking hopeful, I'm going to change over to an original DarkTrooper from Dark Forces. I haven't gotten much done except for the helmet, biceps and forearms anyhow, so I can go two ways: finish this version out or start fresh.

For those that didn't know, I joined the Army last December, graduated basic at the end of May and currently at the Army Intel school in Arizona for my AIT. I won't be getting back until around thanksgiving or later. So thats why I've been absent lately

-TC
Master

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As an 8-yr. Army MP/Infantry/Drill Sgt. vet, let me say thanks for steppin' up to serve!! I only have one question though... isn't "Army Intelligence" an oxymoron?! NYUK NYUK NYUK!! Laughing Wink

Again, thanks for steppin' up, knock 'em DEAD... literally!!

Much respect!!

jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Aug 15, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Tony said! Thank you for your service!

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Sun Aug 22, 2010 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

Yea, going to be a set back..sort of. I have had foot pain since I got off the plane in Tuscon to come here. I didn't know what it was at first and after two months of walking on it, they discoverd that I actually have a broken foot (go figure)

Anyways, it was unclear for the past 3 weeks what they were going to do with me, but I found out on friday that I'll be getting surgery...in El Paso, but a civilian surgeon. What this means is that I'll be recycled in the course, and have to stay here until I recover/pass the APFT. I *might* be Con leave, but won't know just yet..
Master

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you DEFINATELY need to take care of your feet! There are quite a few small/intricate bones in there and a fracture in ANY of them can bring the burliest soldier to his knees in a heartbeat. Hang in there, con-leave isn't so bad (luckily I never had to take any myself), and you'll be getting a paycheck while you recover, not to mention the medical care. There's no shame in a medical recycle, and you'll have an advantage in that you may have more time to delve into the academics of your MOS and score higher on your final Q-test(s)... which will make a name for yourself right out of the gate. Outstanding/expert soldiers (especially in the "smaller" MOS communities) are quickly marked, watched, and adavanced.

Hang in there!
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Fri Sep 03, 2010 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stomper wrote:
Well you DEFINATELY need to take care of your feet! There are quite a few small/intricate bones in there and a fracture in ANY of them can bring the burliest soldier to his knees in a heartbeat. Hang in there, con-leave isn't so bad (luckily I never had to take any myself), and you'll be getting a paycheck while you recover, not to mention the medical care. There's no shame in a medical recycle, and you'll have an advantage in that you may have more time to delve into the academics of your MOS and score higher on your final Q-test(s)... which will make a name for yourself right out of the gate. Outstanding/expert soldiers (especially in the "smaller" MOS communities) are quickly marked, watched, and adavanced.

Hang in there!

Bah, well was sent to texas (Ft. Bliss) in which turned out to be a CF that lasted 2 days. Basically, I walked in there, the surgeon looks at my feet and says "Oh, your feet are just naturally deformed and that bone thats "fractured" grew like that."

So all they did was order me custom insoles Rolling Eyes No surgery and I have no idea whats goin to happen next..

As for this course, the scores don't follow us, unfortunatly. We get reminded of that ALOT and the fact that we're still going to be treated as such, regardless of overall grades in the course :/

As for a recycle, they told me that there is a small chance they'll just let me stay in my current class and just catch up instead of dropping me into a class behind us. IDK, we'll see. Kinda frustrated about the whole thing, but hey, getting on a plane to go home for the weekend...
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2010 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just take good care of yourself first. Health before anything else. Hope you feel better soon. Smile

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long time since I last updated my thread over here. Alot has changed in recent months, moved back to Tallahassee, got a steady job, (still army reserves) and just still going. I'm focusing my propping time to this now, in the hopes of having the suit finished and 501st approved in time for Celebration 6.

Just to summarize what's has happened, my newest evaluation of the 3d model along with comparison of the standard clone and TK from the game (compared to these models since 'we know' how their supposed to look already) given that the low poly models tend to rely on shadowing and bitmaps to give the illusion of detail.

Well, after analyzing it, the only true custom parts on the entire suit are the helmet, upper torso, shoulders and jetpack. That's it, everything else is strictly TK or clone, mashed up. I already started work on the clone parts from OSCS tall kit, but still need to pick up the TK parts. Got a custom dyed clone belt from steelblitz as well. It's coming along, but in dire need to start producing the custom pieces.

This is my latest posting in regards to the helmet:

Started making fixes for accuracy on the helmet today in preparation for the transition mold in two weeks. Got one eye finished and looking a hell of alot more accurate then before and I started redoing the frown. I think I got the shape I want (need), which IMO makes the helmet look "different" then before, and I think that subtle change in angles really makes it appear more like the in game model. Just need to finish re-doing the teeth...

More to come...Ordering molding supplies tonight!

-TC
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is looking BEAUTIFUL so far. Keep the updates coming.

CJanssen
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Feb 26, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, looking good TC
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone, I hope that it turns out as well as it should!!

Ok, well I should have been asleep an hour ago but got to work with the helmet (no new pics just yet) but I started making more corrections for accuracy. Here I present a side-by-side comparison. The 2nd one having annotations to show the areas to be re-worked (what's left at least)

One of the biggest things I kinda hesitated on redoing were the forward "tube" sections that lead into the areator location. The game model depict the starting point/line as where the frown points down on each side. My sculpt's version has it starting higher than the frown. I already cut one side down tonight, need to do the other.

The areator portion I initially was wanting to hold off until after molding, but I've already formed the "ring" on the left side with clay, and filled in the opening somewhat to give a good base foundation to work with later on. I plan to use short/squatty areators.

Molding supplies should arrive via ups tomorrow...

That's it for now...off to bed for me...

-TC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 22 of 24

Jump to: