www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Darktrooper Progress thread (Pic intensive!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 21, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Pepakura Templates Reply with quote

TK451 wrote:
tubachris85x,

Do you think you can post the templates your using for the Pepakura software?

thanks,

Good work, I've been following your progress. You've come a long way in just a short time.

Thank you for the compliments!

As for the templates, I am actually using the 3D model. It's just a matter of isolating a piece you want, by deleting everything else, and saving the file in I think I remember, .PDO? From there, you can open it up in pepakura, and it will be the base poly's you need.

If you have 3dsmax, I'd be glad to send you the 3d file
Master

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, well after another long time gap of no progress, I am getting back to it. I began by fiberglassing the paper chest piece I had made. I think the biggest thing for me is having to decide how I am going to go about making and choosing what materials to use.

But, due to monetary confines, I will not be molding these pieces. I will be using the paper base for the final chest. I am fiberglassing it, resining it (brushing resin on the outside for added strength) and then bondo, sand repeat, until it's where I want it to be. I may be brusing in casting resin on the inside, over the fiberglass for added strength, as well as for a smoother interior surface.

The helmet, I tried fiberglassing the weaker parts that I needed to go over, but the resin hasn't cured, and I dont' know why..I've added more then enough hardner...I think I may just attach some foam inserts, no more expanding foam!

As for the rest of the suit, I am going to have to get pre-fabricated clone parts, as I've mentioned before. I thought about making them through the same paper method, but looking at the models, the base poly's and whatnot, it is not shaped right and will not work, and would require significant modifications to make it anywhere near where it needs to be. For the shins...I am thinking about using TK style, but will be heavily modded.

-TC
Master

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some more work done on the arm vac-form bucks. I'm going to try and get these ready so I can get them sent out to be formed in ABS. I finished shaping the bottom forearm piece, so I may just go back over with some sanding sealer and primer. I also went and drilled the air holes in the upper forearm buck, and tested it out with my vaccum, and I feel it will work fairly well. On top of that, I went back, and wet-sanded the sides, from where I had used the Durham's putty. I noticed that on my first decent pull of the forearms, that I had achieved the high detail of the un-eveness of the sides. I did that with both.

Added bondo to the bicep bucks too, one of them is about 90% done, about 99% after I sand it all down. So thats the current status as of now. I'm throwing in a pic of the chest piece..still need to finish fiberglassing though, just so messy!!

-TC
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good!

Keep us updated on your progress.

Question, why send it out to be formed in ABS and not do that yourself?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, despite having built a former myself, it's just not powerful enough...I will be overhauling it sometime, but as of right now, I just don't have the funds to pay for the upgrades and materials to make it how I'd like to, such as actually getting a pump system instead of a shop vac..the oven still works, but needs alot more tweaking, and I need to re-build the whole set-up..sitting in the garage has shown it's wear and tear to be frank. Crying or Very sad

This will also save me some money, I'll be getting most of the clone parts from the person casting these as well.
Master

PostPosted: Mon Mar 16, 2009 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got some more work on the sculpt last night, started to focus on the lower face area. If you compare, I've narrowed both sides of the upside down "U" shape, and have begun sculpting the greeblie in the middle. Unfortunatly, the greeblie detail from my references is only clear enough on the top portion, while everything below that is just "black" and any detail lines are non-existant or noticable. Because of this, I'm forced to interperete the rest of it, so I cannot say that this piece will be accurate. It still needs alot of clean up work though, and I'm thinking about making this a seperate piece until I make the final mold.

Just a side profile to get a better feel of the shapes

-TC
Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey all

Just wanted to give a small update..I am getting ready to mold the helmet as of now, this will only be the transition mold, so that I can work with a solid casting. The face is pretty much done, but the hardest part is smoothing the dome and fin. We are going to be using an un-common molding material, called "moulage," in which it molds almost exactly like silicone, yet is significantly cheaper, and also re-usable!

-TC
Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well no molding pics yet, but I wanted to show how I'm prepping this. I cut out the sections where the areators are. I can't have it flat for obviouse reasons, but I'm thinking now that I should have left those sections closed for molding (Ooops..)

Anyways, some things I just can't smooth out as I like, but these things will be fixed once I get the first cast made. I'm going to make a rotocast helmet for the transition/master. This will allow me to have a strong sturdy base to work with while still allowing me the freedom of making adjustments as I need. I am most likely going to switch the type of clay I'm using though, cause it's not adhearing to anything!

As you can see, I also removed the chin greeblie. I want this portion to be as smooth as possible for the transition cast. It was really difficult to get the back section as smooth and clean looking as I wanted, so thats the purpose for removing it now. I will be adding it on for the final master.

I took this picture, because I really wanted to show how much I'm emphasizing on details, despite the 3D model being flat, I really used my references from my FX TK helmet. I really think that it brings a sense of more realism to it then just a video game.

-TC
Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just one more update for tonight, I originially was just going to slap on the decal details, either pre-made ones or hand painted. I first tried to sculpt those sections out, but to no avail.

Despite my first failed attempt, I want to get that TK look going, so I went at it again, and managed to pull it off well IMO. All the trapazoids and "tear" drop details are now physically sculpted in.

The back looks wide, but using my reference, it is actually this wide apart

Thats it for now, thanks!

-TC
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw a post over on the RPF regarding this project and Moulage. Any progress with that stuff?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 18, 2009 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jegner wrote:
I saw a post over on the RPF regarding this project and Moulage. Any progress with that stuff?

Not yet unfortunatly. I'm planning to be ordering the materials soon. I guess these are just last minute adjustments to the sculpt before I decide to mold it.

Should actually work out from what I've been reading, just use the same molding technique as you would for silicone. I'm surprised that it's not used that much by propmakers..
Master

PostPosted: Fri Jun 26, 2009 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, got a bit more work done on this. I decided to form the indentations for where the areators will go. It actually worked out alot better then I thought! Just re-inforced the inside, across where I had cut it, with two large strips of styrene, which I hot glued into place. From that, I not only increased the structural support where it had not existed before, but gave me a platform to create the areator indentations.

Of course, I still have alot more clean up to go, but it's looking pretty good IMO. Also, you can see the areator I will be using, which I feel fits rather well, and proportionate. Ignore how far it's sticking out, because when the helmet is finished, the areator as you see it will, half of it will be inside the helmet, and the rest of it sticking out, revealing only the smooth section. To get a better idea of that, look at my FX TK faceplate I was originally going to make the helmet from, and these are the same exact areators from that FX faceplate.

The helmet's right side looks deeper the the helmet's left, but that is partially due to the lighting and shadow. I feel it looks alot better in person..

Thanks!

-TC
Master

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got around to trying to smooth out the back later last night. It looks a heck of alot better then it did originally..

-TC
Master

PostPosted: Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is looking like its shaping up nicely... great job!! Wink
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Sun Jun 28, 2009 3:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stomper wrote:
That is looking like its shaping up nicely... great job!! Wink

Thanks bro! Much appreciated! Very Happy

I wanted to update that I've decided to back down from using moulage as the transition molding material. I've done a bit of research on it, and I am getting the impression that it may not be adequate enough for such a large piece. It's similar to silicone in many ways, but I feel it's better suited for smaller things. With moulage, it appears I run the risk of completly ruining the clay that the sculpt is made up with. On top of this, its said that moulage will not adhere to anything until cooled.

So I've decided to to use silicone both ways. It's going to cost me more this way, but I feel it's the only other option I have right now. Plaster is just going to be too heavy for this.

One thing that's going to be difficult, is that I need to get this molded before I move. I'm having to move down south for a bit before I transfer next spring to FSU, and it is imparitive that I mold this before I move. Transporting the sculpt is NOT an option, or else I'm forced to have to significantly repair or even risk having to start it over. The clay does not handle well sitting in heat.

Just gotta bite the bullet on this one, but it'll be worth it in the long run.

-TC
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 21 of 24

Jump to: