www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
More thoughts on the CMP

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Feb 22, 2007 10:43 am    Post subject: More thoughts on the CMP Reply with quote

Well, in case you did not know, I'm a big WWII history nut. Before Star Wars costuming, and prop replicas, I was into WWII militaria. My GIjOE adventures, my relatives, and WWII movies as a small child really shaped my interest in that generation's great crusade to free the world.

Anyways, there was a ban on all former US Military arms being reimported into the USA back in the early 1990s. As a result, the cost of a M1903, M1 Garand, M1911A1 pistol, or a M1 Carbine have skyrocketed. Basic economics, the law of supply and demand. A lot of collectors wanting what was a limited supply of items, and no hope of future imports.

Enter the CMP.

In 1903, the US Congress authorized the formation of a training program for Civilian marksmen and firearms safety. Today, over 100 years later, that organization is known as the Civilian Marksmanship Program. Once a department of the US Army, the CMP is funded by sales of surplus military arms, such as the M1903 Springfield, M1917 Enfield, M1 Garand, and now the M1 Carbine. These guns are straight from US military depots. Many of these guns have seen action for both the US and her allies. Many of the guns the CMP have, are returns from the MAP [Military Assistance Program], as those countries are now returing what the US loaned them, years ago. These are not imports, they belong to the US military, and were loaned to foreign governments, and are just now being returned.

The CMP is about the only way to get these arms, unless you are willing to pay the high prices dealers and gunshow sellers are asking. The CMP is where many get their guns, and most of the dealers are selling CMP guns at double the CMP price.

When I got involved, they only had M1 Garands, and M44 trainers. In addition, you had a limit on how many you could get. The price was great, about 1/3rd the asking price at a gunshop.

Sadly, those days are gone. The M1903s are all but sold out, the M1917s are gone, the M44 trainers are gone, and the CMP is down to the bottom of the pile on M1 Garands.

The good news, the CMP has some M1 Carbines, and I for one have been waiting for over 10 years for this.

Over the years, the CMP has sold USGI rifles, and USGI rifles loaned to, and then returned from: Denmark, Greece, Paraguay, and now Italy.

Who knows what other countires the US loaned arms to, and when they might be returned, but for now, I'm glad to have been involved with the CMP. I have had the opportunity to share the shooting sports with others, and to own some of these fine weapons. I hope to pass my interest in history on to my children, and nephews, and that they appreciate what these things represent: history, and freedom.

Jim

http://www.odcmp.com
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Weapons Locker All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: