www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
It's Allive!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gobler
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 10:53 am    Post subject: It's Allive!! Reply with quote

Well after weeks of trying to sign in I finally used the correct password Embarassed Laughing This is my meet and greet post so hello to all. Makeup artist and prop maker by profession. Now semi retired but still love to create things. Been wanting my own vac former for years now; got spoiled by the machines at the shops I worked at. Nice big 4x4 and 2x2 with hydrolysis...the gentle hiss as the heated plastic lowered over the warm molds... sorry...sounds kinda like a pron.... Ah well. I like most here am in the process of building a solid yet affordable rig. I would like to give a big thanks to Jim for all his hard work in streamlining the TJ model and putting together this forum. Well that's it for now.

Cheers,
Jeff
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board, Jeff! Glad to see you posting ok now.

There are quite a few guys here that have made similar 'hobby' vac-formers, and some of these border on a pro-grade machine. IF you need help, just ask away!

I do have a question about latex. I'm needing to make a tentacle about 10 feet long. Any thoughts or suggestions of materials? It needs to have a skin, and be soft enough to wrap around our actors. I'm at a loss for making something that big. Never done much with liquid latex, or latex foam. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Glad to have you on the board!

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gobler
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim, there are several ways to create the tentacle. The quickest and cheapest method is to "carve" it out of upholstery foam. (the yellow or white soft foam)They usually come in 4x8 foot sheets and from 1/2 inch to 12 inches (or more upon request) Depending on the diameter, you can get the foam up to 12 inches. Or if you need it hollow, cut a 1-2 inch thick sheet into a triangle and use 77 adhesive to glue the tube together. You can then use latex and cotton and/or tissue to cover the tentacle which will also give you a skin. Use acrylic paints to color it. I can go on for pages on each step and this is just one way. If you have a sculpt already started or finished there are a few ways to proceed. Let me know more about it and I will see what I can do. If you need a place to get supplies from let me know.

Cheers,
Jeff
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gobler wrote:
Hey Jim, there are several ways to create the tentacle. The quickest and cheapest method is to "carve" it out of upholstery foam. (the yellow or white soft foam)They usually come in 4x8 foot sheets and from 1/2 inch to 12 inches (or more upon request) Depending on the diameter, you can get the foam up to 12 inches. Or if you need it hollow, cut a 1-2 inch thick sheet into a triangle and use 77 adhesive to glue the tube together. You can then use latex and cotton and/or tissue to cover the tentacle which will also give you a skin. Use acrylic paints to color it. I can go on for pages on each step and this is just one way. If you have a sculpt already started or finished there are a few ways to proceed. Let me know more about it and I will see what I can do. If you need a place to get supplies from let me know.

Cheers,
Jeff

Hello!

Thanks for the advice. Right now, here is the information we have:

http://www.tk560.com/fanfilm.html scroll down till you see the diagona 1.0 armature section.

The foam coated with cloth painted with latex, and detaild with acrylic sounds like a plan!

Thanks

Jim

Also, there is this thread: http://www.tk560.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=125
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: