www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Vac-form Machine Gallery
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it'd be a good idea to move the discussion of particular wiring mishaps off the gallery sticky thread.

Tired of buying cheap plastic crap? Now you can make your own! www.VacuumFormerPlans.com
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 9:29 am    Post subject: Jr. Branham's Proto Form Reply with quote

Here are some pictures of Jr. Branham's Proto Form over-and-under machine, which he built according to Doug Walsh's plans.

(Jr.'s a new member who doesn't have a web site to host the pictures on.)

Here's most of the machine from the front:

Here's a side view, with the lift bar propped midway up:

And here's a close up of the rear pivot & levers when the lift bar is all the way up, clearing the front of the oven :

Really elegant design on Doug's part, and a very nice build by Jr.

Tired of buying cheap plastic crap? Now you can make your own! www.VacuumFormerPlans.com
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Mon Jun 18, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess I can finally add my machine to the thread. Not as elegant or "professional," but it works.

-tubachris
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice job on the machine, tubachris!
"you've taken your first small step into a larger world..."
you finally finished!
I'm waiting to see how the darktrooper armor goes...

-------------------------------------------------------

jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris, you machine does look the business! Well done. Now, get to making those parts, and post some pics for us to see! We are all antsy to see more progress on your costume.

Dr. Crash, thats Doug Walsh, Protoform machine is nice. Wish the plans weren't $100 plus. Good, solid design, and the lifting arm is a nice bit of engineering. BTW, do you know if that is a 110V or 220V machine?

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jr Branham
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 11:39 pm    Post subject: Proto form Reply with quote

Jim,
My machine is 220volts. The plans really are nice. Seems high, but, he put alot of thought into the machine. I don't have anything to compare it to, I do like my machine. I did some initial forming then burned up my pump. I just ordered one of the pumps Doug Walsh has on his website. I will post the results.
Jr.
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Fri Jun 22, 2007 3:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jegner wrote:
Chris, you machine does look the business! Well done. Now, get to making those parts, and post some pics for us to see! We are all antsy to see more progress on your costume.

Jim

Thanks Jim, I may make some changes in the future once I get more into the casting phase after the molds are done, like actually make a mettal tubing frame, and do the hinged mechanizm so that I can move the heated sheet faster to reduce cooling down. Im also thinking about raising the platen surface to have the grid so I dont have to worry about a one hole source. The reason I didnt build a cart and its just on saw horses is because I will be moving up to tallahassee for college, and I want it to be portable. Once up there, I will make these upgrades.

Yes, I am very ancey to see it finished as well, and Im the one building it!

-tubachris
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:49 am    Post subject: Cheap multi-plastic-size vac forming (Instructable & mov Reply with quote

I wrote an instructable on how to make a good cheap vacuum former using your kitchen oven and vacuum cleaner. It's your basic board with a hole in it and weatherstrip gasket, but with mix-and-match-size frames made of aluminum window screen frame stuff, and gaskets on tape-down sheets for different sizes of plastic.

(That's not just to save plastic; you often get better results with plastic that's about the right size. Oversize plastic often leads to webbing, which you can fix by using risers, etc., but starting with about the right size and shape of plastic puts you ahead of the game.)

Here's a movie of the kitchen setup in action:

(EDIT: The YouTube version looks better, but I haven't figured out how to embed it here. Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hGBRiYhxRTM )

In the video, I use three guide rails to get the plastic down aligned right on the gasket. They're just 89-cent shelf supports clamped to the platen with spring clamps I had lying around. For small stuff, I like that better than a flip frame, because you can bring the plastic straight down.

The removable gasket shtik will work fine with a many-hole platen, too, as long as the tape-down sheet is big enough, and covers all the holes outside the gasketed area.

Last edited by drcrash on Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:05 am; edited 1 time in total
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i like your signature quote at the end...
"Tired of buying cheap plastic crap? NOw, you can make your own."
SWEET! Very Happy
what did you do for the mold, take a cast of geaorge lucas's face and cast that and plast and vacuum-form it?
thats face looks REALLY good, and it looks like george lucas's face. Shocked
It looks like i need to make a video for my machine!
i think i'll do that! Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------

thebluecanary
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOw that is very cool. I am going to have to try that with my crafting v-table I am making. I love the window screan idea. Hmmm I think a trip to Lowes is in order. Hehehe.
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 19, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: evil twin Reply with quote

TK 109 wrote:

what did you do for the mold, take a cast of geaorge lucas's face and cast that and plast and vacuum-form it?

That's a life cast my wife did of my face, using alginate with a plaster bandage mother mold, and pouring water putty into that.

I had to google up a picture of George Lucas to see what you're talking about. Hmmm... I guess now people will start wondering why they never see both of us in the same room at the same time.

Quote:
thats face looks REALLY good, and it looks like george lucas's face. Shocked

It's good to know we're so good-looking. Smile

drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 20, 2007 10:36 am    Post subject: Proto Form demo Reply with quote

Here's a nice little video of a Proto Form in action.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9EgeknznRc

(The 2 x 2 sheet is overkill for the little part he's making---I'd use a tape-down gasket, a smaller frame, and guide rails for the little stuff---but it's nice to see the clamping and levers working.)

jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool!

Good to see a protoform machine in action. Nice!

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
deepstar

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

in regard to the protoform machine seen in the youtube movie: the mechanism to raise/lower the frame is controlled by a two-piece lever.
Jr. Branham's machine (as posted by drcrash above) also uses this system.

I was wondering why the lever consists of 2 pieces and not just one ? I'm considering creating something similar but using just a single piece as the lever, because it's easier to make. What are the advantages of a two-piece lever ?

kind regards
-- Steven
PS: I've constructed my vacuform machine frame, but the server hosting my website is down at the moment, so no pictures Sad
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2007 5:53 am    Post subject: two levers are better than one Reply with quote

deepstar wrote:

I was wondering why the lever consists of 2 pieces and not just one ? I'm considering creating something similar but using just a single piece as the lever, because it's easier to make. What are the advantages of a two-piece lever ?

The two-piece lever system acts like a long lever, folded up; that gives you a lot of throw (vertical range) without the levers sticking out in back of the machine.

Some of the mechanical geometric issues were discussed in the "An Idea for a Drop down Frame..." thread:
http://www.tk560.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=356

You could do it with a single lever on each side if you don't mind having to pull your machine away from the wall to use it, and/or having reduced throw.

EDIT 7/28/07:

Doh. I don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that last paragraph. A single lever doesn't work, because it constrains the motion to an arc. Two levers let the plastic move straight up and down. (I've explained that somewhere before, maybe in the thread I cited above.) With a single lever you'd need sliders where they attach to the plastic holding frame. Having two levers is easier and better all around... the rear pivot can move forward and backward, allowing the top pivot to move straight up and down.

BTW, one thing I didn't understand when I wrote the earlier stuff in the linked thread is that the ProtoForm has a bar between the two bottom levers, holding them parallel. (The bottom levers and the bar under the platen are welded together in a U shape.) I assume that's to ensure that the rear pivots stay level side-to-side, even if the force on the lift bar or the resistance from stretching the plastic is not centered. Combined with the similar rigid U-shape of the lift bar welded to the top levers, that ensures that the plastic stays level from side to side. Very nice.

(I think you could get by without that if your vertical slide mechanism constrains sideways slanting as, as well as front-to-back. Telescoping tubes or shafts with pairs of pillow blocks would do that, given enough vertical spread.)

Last edited by drcrash on Sat Jul 28, 2007 9:55 pm; edited 3 times in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 4 of 10

Jump to: