www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Just Getting Started

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
flamefink

PostPosted: Sun Jun 15, 2014 10:01 pm    Post subject: Just Getting Started Reply with quote

Hey guys, I'm gathering parts and planning out my vacuum former. I've been borrowing ideas from different designs and trying to incorporate things. I think will work best for me. As much as I'd love to buy the plans and build a hobbyvac or protoform machine, I'm going to have to build a smaller less elaborate machine first because of cost and space constraints.

So far at flea markets and garage sales I've been able to find a 30 gallon air compressor tank, a couple pieces of peg board, and a vacuum pump of unknown size and origin (there a no markings on it anywhere). I'm going to run over to our local steel supply yard tomorow and see what they have in the "cut offs" to build my plastic holding frame and stand/cart for the machine.

I'm still undecided when it comes to the oven and may have to result to using my kitchen oven for the time being... I have been seeing some electric ovens go as cheap as $40 on craigslist and I've considered buying one to cut up into an oven for my vacuum former.

My goal is to be able to make some custom bodies for my 1/10 scale R/C cars. I will be pulling 16x24 .040-.060 polycarbonate over a 4-6 inch tall mold. In the distant future i would like to be able to pull 16x36 040-.060 polycarbonate over a 5inch tall mold to make bodies for my 1/8 scale R/C car but for now I'll start smaller.

Any info, ideas, or pointers anyone can give me will be appreciated. I'm always looking for better ideas or easier ways to make this work.
IMMark
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome
Sounds like you have a good start. I certainly understand wanting to keep $ to a min. But you stated seeing "ovens" on craigslist for $40. You can buy 10' of 22 gauge nicrhome for $36.22. Would be enough for several ovens of the size you are talking about. It is also a tried and proven method?
Here is a link if you are interested;
http://www.morelectricheating.com/default.aspx?page=item%20detail&itemcode=COILHD10009

Just a thought.
Best of luck on your journey and build.
Mark
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: