www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Vac forming supplies
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gobler
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 1:51 pm    Post subject: Vac forming supplies Reply with quote

I did not see a thread for places to get supplies. This is a place that I used to go to get the thermal plastics for the shops. They deliver and there is no minimum.
http://www.gavrieli.com/index.htm

Cheers,
Jeff
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great link!

Thanks!

Most of my supplies I get from www.professionalplastics.com. They will trim to your holding frame size for free. $30 minimum, but most 4x8 foot sheets cost that much.

As for molding and casting, I get from http://www.smoothonsecure.com/store/index.php or from www.bare-metal.com

Stomper get's his silicone from ebay.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gobler
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since this is the tread I started here are some good pumps on the Bay http://search.ebay.com/search/search.dll?from=R40&satitle=Robinair+8+CFM&category0=
They read 8 CFM 1 HP pumps that can draw 40 microns.

Cheers,
Jeff
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2007 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WOW, those MUST be the newest models from Robinare, I've never seen them, and believe me, I check out all the pumps sitting on the sales floor of the 5-6 HVAC vendor/suppliers almost on a daily basis!

Nice looking pump... no idea on how they perform, but Robinaire is GOOD STUFF! Very Happy
gobler
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Stomper, is a Refco a good brand? Perhaps you could list brands to run from and a few solid brands since I, and perhaps most here know nothing about pumps.

Cheers,
Jeff
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say on the Refco... never heard of it (at least don't remember if I have), but Robinaire and J/B are the main vac-pumps used in the HVAC industry around here (Pacific NW). I have never had one single problem with either of those brands....ever.
gobler
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very Happy That's what I needed to hear..err..read. Yeah I'm going for the Robinair, after what I read in the other thread I'm exited. I may even buy two. One for my Vac table and the other for my degasser.

Cheer,
Jeff
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL... try using "Bean-O" for your "degassing needs"!!

You know, that Robinaire may do just fine as "double-duty", they already come with an inlet "T" so you can hook more than one hose at a time to it. All you really need is 3/8" refrigeration hoses that are EASY to obtain, and they come in various lengths, plus they are TOTALLY hand-carry portable... like a battery charger, or heavy tool bag.

I'm wanting to build a vac-chamber for degassing as well. I'm aspiring to more complicated molds and I can see the proverbial writing on the wall that one will be necessary to properly do what I intend. I'm thinking of a 2'(H) x 2'(D) x 4'(L) chamber for doing "long-guns". I think 3/4" thick clear acrylic epoxied together in a box-type construction/configuration will do it. Then I can just use self-adhesive rubber gasket material to make the seal on the top lid. I need clear material so I can see the "magic" happening! Laughing
cod
Master

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stomper wrote:

You know, that Robinaire may do just fine as "double-duty",

Stomper,

I'm using a Robinair 15600

Could you discuss the '2-stage' aspect of these pumps? Is this second stage something that kicks in automatically ? What is this feature ? I took my pump up to 20" and it started to act funny- jumping around and stuttering. . I haven't used it since. I may have gotten a piece of some sediment in there(hope it dint screw up my pump!- inlet filters are on the way).

in the meantime , I'm wondering if maybe it was just kicking into a 'second stage' and I got scared .....

any insight parecc..

cod
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cod wrote:
Stomper wrote:

You know, that Robinaire may do just fine as "double-duty",

Stomper,

I'm using a Robinair 15600

Could you discuss the '2-stage' aspect of these pumps? Is this second stage something that kicks in automatically ? What is this feature ? I took my pump up to 20" and it started to act funny- jumping around and stuttering. . I haven't used it since. I may have gotten a piece of some sediment in there(hope it dint screw up my pump!- inlet filters are on the way).

in the meantime , I'm wondering if maybe it was just kicking into a 'second stage' and I got scared .....

any insight parecc..

cod

2nd stage refers to the point at which the pump starts pulling vacuum at the deeper levels, and yes it's an automatic thing. About that thing stuttering and jumping around... you mean like "bucking like a bronco" jumping? I know that when you start to pull a deeper vacuum that the sound will change a bit, but I've never had one sputter and jump around at 20" Hg, only a couple times on start-up when the ambient temperature was cold have I ever had anything remotely close to what you describe, and then it smooths out after a about a second or so.

I'd say make sure you put in FRESH vacuum pump oil... empty out the old stuff first through the bottom drain! Wink I fill my reservoir just slightly below the fill line (slightly less than halfway up the front sight glass.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by Stomper on Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:15 pm; edited 1 time in total
cod
Master

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks tony.

I had bought the pump refurbished, emptied of oil for shipping. I filled it up fresh myself, so no issue there. It's at the fill line. Maybe I added too much oil ? I took it to the line, ... though I think the directions asked for a bit less than the line, when running.

yes, the weird thing was it was bucking wildly. I ran it again soon after and it seemed fine.

I still picture a chunk of tank rust, gouging the rotary vane, but I have to run the pump again to see if it was only a momentary problem.

Got 4 filters in the mail, need 1/2" fittings.

[/i]
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool, let us know how it pans out! Very Happy
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great info Tony, thanks!

I still have the pump and accessories I got from you, an inline filter, valves, and a 28 gallon tank. Now, I just need a few more suppllies, like elbows, and pipe, and I should be good to go-hi-vac. I like the way Charlie has the ability to change from shop-vac to hi-vac. I need to try that.

My Robinair I got from Tony runs great. But after looking at this thread, I may have too much oil in mine. hmmm.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
gobler
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read on another thread about using perforated metal for the breadboard. Here is a place that sells all kinds of perforated metal sheets. http://www.mcnichols.com/products/perforated/round/roundhole/

I requested a quote from them for this:
Quote:

Class: Round Hole
Major Material: Plain Steel
Minor Material: Cold Rolled
Gauge (Thickness): 16
Hole Size: 1/8"
Hole Centers: 1/4"
Hole Pattern: Staggered
% Open Area: 23%
Straight Rows Parallel To: Length
Margins Parallel to Length: Min Safe Both Sides
Margins Parallel to Width: Sheared Through
End Pattern: None
Surface Finish: Mill
SKU Type: Sheet
Width: 48"
Length (Span for Grating): 120"
Piece 1: Width: 25 Length: 25 Quantity: 1

I'll let you know how much when I find out.

Cheers,
Jeff
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2007 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know the perff brass like the ones used on the TOS Star TRek communicators was like $300 a 4x8 foot sheet. I hope this stuff is more affordable.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: