www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
STORMTROOPER VOICE AMP QUESTIONS
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 11:28 am    Post subject: STORMTROOPER VOICE AMP QUESTIONS Reply with quote

Well, I've been thinking of buying a voice amp for my armor, but they are a little expensive for me so, I've been pondering some options.

Idea I was wondering if I could just buy a voice changer (Darth Vader), crack it open, and remove the stuff that made it change your voice, so that all it is is a mechanical voice...thing. OR if i just tested to see it the sound of the voice changed if i put the speakers on the outside of the main housing, to see if it sounded anything like a trooper. (I know that toy blaster's sounds tend to be much higher pitched and much louder in an open, vented space, rather than in a sealed housing).

If I were to modify this voice changer, chances are i would have to add a speaker, so I could put it behind my helmet areators, and then just vent the areators so people could here me. the only problem with that is, i want people to hear my MECHANICAL VOICE not my REAL VOICE. Are there Radio Shack speakers out there that are small and loud? Or should two speakers do the trick? Would the voice changer even work at all? Let me know if someone has tried this, or just tell me if this is going to work, and if not, tell me a way to make it work. I want to do this cheap... and a voice changer seems to be the answer!

Is a mechanical voice even worth it?

Many more questions, courtesey of me, I know, but I know that SOMEONE will have answers.

-------------------------------------------------------

jzawacki
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jun 06, 2007 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong, but it's not even the mechanical part you "need" to give the coolness factor, it is the hiss and click after you talk that pulls it off. You won't get that from any of the toy voice changers that I know of.
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i can add the sounds after i talk, it's just the mechanical voice im worried about. I know of one site (www.xtremegadget.com) that sells an amp that is equal to the black radio shack version (which is discontinued), and its like twice as loud. Very Happy
heres the catch... its $50, and it ships from mexico.... Sad
if its possible, i want to figure out how to modify a voice changer or something (maybe make my own cheap amp), to obtain the sound i want.
does ANYBODY have any ideas??????????????????! Confused

tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://skullworx.com/

-tubachris
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 07, 2007 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, the age old voice amp question...

You have a couple of options, depending on the end result you are looking for.

If you can live with the speaker amp being on your belt or behind your chest plate with a wire for the microphone running up to your helmet, then go with the very loud and capable Newton 6 watt amplifier for $45.00 from xtremegadget:
http://www.xtremegadget.com/poamsy.html

Or the practically identical version from Hisonic (but it does come with both a boom mic and a lapel mic)
http://www.hisonic.net/HS125.htm

Or, you could go to Radio Shack and pick up their tiny 3" square speaker, plus an overpriced headset microphone (with inline amplifier / booster). The booster is what really makes it work. It takes the microphone level signal and cranks it up to "line level" which can be heard by any amplified speaker, such as an old set of computer speakers.

33-3012 Headset Microphone with Gooseneck Boom - link

277-1008 Mini Audio Amplifier - link

Although you can take apart the mini amp and mount it inside your helmet with tiny speakers behind your aerators, it is not very loud, and is prone to feedback issues.

Some folks want to sound the absolute best, and although very pricey, it is definitely the RomFX:
http://www.romfx.com/

So there you go, more options than you can swing a dewback prod at!

Charlie
TK-386
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 08, 2007 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have 2 low budget options, neither really do it. One is the Radio shack mini amp/speaker, and lapel mic. Feedback until you turn the volume down do low, you cant' hear. A better mic might be the solution but the darn feedback! I can put the amp on my belt, and still, have feedback. On my feet, still feedback! I want it loud, and the tiny RS amps have the volume, but my mic is the culprit, me thinks.

I also have the el-cheap-o halloween mask amps, with the wired in mic, that has to touch your lip to work. Not loud, and not very good. You can spit on it, and get the static burst. No need for an expensive static burst generator.

At least, thats been my experience. I'm thinking of getting one of those waist amps systems, as listed above.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm...
it appears that one cannot do it for $20 or something, and still get good, solid results. the Xtremegadget amp is my best option... unless somebody is an electronics genious and is able to show me ho to make my own amp for $20 (or less...or more...)
i like the extremegadget amp... i was just wondering if i could do the amp system cheaply... like just a trip to the ole' radio shack, or something.
thanks for the info! if you have more info, shoot! Very Happy

crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's way too many photos of my disassembly of the XtremeGadget amp, and painting it black for my TIE fighter outfit.

http://tk386.com/newton_voice_amp/

(Wow, I really need to get a life Razz)

There's also a book titled "Electronic Projects for Musicians" which has about 27 different devices that you can build, with one of them being a small portable amplifier. I could never get mine to work, and the book cost $27.95, so that would blow your $20 budget anyway. But there's lots of cool stuff in there Smile

http://www.amazon.com/Electronic-Projects-Musicians-Craig-Anderton/dp/0825695023

Charlie
TI-386
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 15, 2007 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie,

Do you like that amp? What mic are you using with it? The one that came with the amp? How loud? Feedback issues?

Thanks

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i made it!.... ( Laughing )
those pics were very informative!
hey jim, do you use an amp? if so, what one? cost?
cost. there's my problem, again!
could you provide in-depth dementions of that newton amp? how does it work out for you? where did you recieve it from (Mexico?)? many more questions...
whats feedback? ( Embarassed )
thanks for the pics, man! Very Happy

crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 16, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Newton 6 watt amp works great! I actually only turn the volume dial up halfway since it is pretty loud and has a 3" diameter speaker. With my TIE outfit, I wear it on my belt and use the microphone that came with the unit.

Since the speaker is down on my belt, and the microphone is inside my helmet, I don't have any trouble with feedback (that's when the microphone "hears" the output from the speaker, then amplifies it more, which then makes the problem worse. It's the squealing sound you hear during speeches or concert sound checks when they're saying "check, 1, 2, 3...")

The dimensions are roughly 8" wide, by 3 1/2" tall, and 2" thick. You can remove the circuit board (which really doesn't have many components on it) from the case, and mount it inside your helmet either vertically on the back, or inside the dome. Find a place to mount the batteries. Then figure out what to do for speakers, since a 3" cone directly in front of the microphone will most definitely create feedback (especially inside the confined space of a helmet!)

Some troopers put the speaker behind their chest plate, but then there's the microphone wire that you have to be careful of when putting on your helmet.

So, the choice is yours - Go crazy with a custom helmet installation, speak from your heart, or have your crotch do the talking Razz

I bought it from eBay (if it's worth having, it's on eBay!), so I have no idea where it really came from.

Charlie
TI-386
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm sure people have tried the crotch thing... Laughing i should! Laughing
I found something to fit my budget!
I FOUND A TUTORIAL TO MAKE YOUR OWN VOICE AMP!! Very Happy
I actually found it in my radio shack circiut lab kit... thingy
It's easy! I just followed the instructions in my booklet, did some modifications with some resistors and WALA! i was talking like a trooper!
i don't have it soldered on a circiut board yet (hoping to do that this weekend!)
so, here are a few pics of my set-up so far:

this is the actual circiut, mounted on the "electronics lab" breadboard. this circiut will end up being VERY small! Smile

Here's the speaker... you can't see it... but its there! i plan on using two small speakers and do the whole areator thing...

here's the mic. it's REALLY small, and REALLY sensitive. you can put this thing in an ant hill, and hear ants walking around! i get feedback with this thing ONLY when it's 2 inches from the speaker(s). COOL!

like i said, this thing is TINY! Razz

here's the actual scematic that i used to make this thing. really simple to build, and really cheap, too! It even has a volume control! It fits my $20 budget very well. i plan on using most of the components featured on the breadboard. other than that, here is the parts list:

1. 1 resistor: colors white, black, brown (if possible)
2. 1 1 M-ohm potentiometer (volume control) w/ built-in on/off switch (?)
3. 2 small speakers
4. 1 blank circiut board
5. 1 small project enclosure box (maybe?)

I don't know if the box is necissary, but i need SOMETHING to keep the circiut safe. grand total: $15? not bad at all!

Just some info for anyone out there wanting a cheap alternative to the amp!

jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool! How small a breadboard can you get? Looks like it will fit into one of the small project boxes.

Thanks for the info!

Jim
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 19, 2007 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's awesome! Congratulations on getting it to work!

Here's a link to the workbook in PDF form. You'll find the instructions for this project on page 74:
http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/uc/rsk/Support/ProductManuals/2800280_P1_PM_EN.pdf

And the second workbook:
http://rsk.imageg.net/graphics/uc/rsk/Support/ProductManuals/2800280_P2_PM_EN.pdf

There's lots of neat stuff in those workbooks. Much more interesting than the Introduction to Electronics class that I took a while back. I would order one of these kits if they were available online, but I guess I'll be going to the store tomorrow to see if they one in stock.

Thanks for the recommendation!

Charlie
TI-386 (Kinda coincidental that one of the IC's in the circuit is a 386 Razz )
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jun 20, 2007 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that the earphone is used as a microphone in this project. I'm wondering if a regular mic would work.

As for making this a kit, one would need to add an on-off switch, battery connector, and a volume control, as well as a way to connect the speakers.

Hmmmm.

Fun stuff.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: