www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Circuit Boards?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 11:55 pm    Post subject: Circuit Boards? Reply with quote

I started a smaller experiment rather then a project only because the opportunity arose. My idea awhile back when constructing my Jango Fett helmet, was to mod a cell phone sub -LCD screen, and it's camera so that I can put the screen in the rangfinder box, and rig the camera into the left side of the visor, or hide it discretly in one of the bubbles on the top.

The issue I am having though is learning how to understand a circuit board, and to even know what I can do and what I need exactly to get in order to do this. I have aquired a cell phone to try this with, and took it apart. Some things I think I understand, and have an idea to do it, but I dont know if these parts are available, and just not for the company who makes them. Here is the dissmantled cell phone, sub-lcd as you can see, the camera is the black box above it. One thing I need for certain, is that gold colored connecter at the very bottome, with the small white letters, "LCD." That connects to the control board and I need to extend this or use something of the sort. Thanks!

-tubachris

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its very difficult to extend that cable. Heres an easier way, buy a Motorola T720i, T721i, T722i they can be found on Ebay for about $20 bucks. Then buy the camera attachment for the phone again it can be found on Ebay for about $6 bucks. Open up the camera and extend the wires in it to fit in the helmet. Plus the camera can swivle 180 degrees.
There are other camera attachments for other phones too.

The outside LCD of cellphones are not TFT and have a slow response rate, so you happen to move quickly the image will blur. The inside LCD are usually TFT and have better resolution and response time.
remarque

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heres another idea, I'm an electronics guy and I've tinkered with alot of devices. Get a gameboy advance sp it has an clamshell design and a gameboy camera. Take the camera apart and extend the wires from the camera to circuit board of the cartridge, I'm about 75% sure that the wires are not made into a ribbon cable I will check to make sure. The gameboy advance sp is better for your application becasue the systems cpu and screen are seperated by a good sized ribbon cable enough so that hide it in you helment. The only bad side the camera is not color, but you can hook up a couple IR LEDs and have night vision Very Happy .
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, one of the reasons for this kind of LCD screen is that I need it to fit into the size of the box posted next to the LCD camera board above. The game boy advanced SP I dont think would fit into there, but that sounds pretty neat with the night vision, and that may be another possible project in the future then..

I found a company name, "display tech." I found their website, and you can create a custom LCD screen to your size and specifications. The only thing is that I wouldnt know what to do with it as far as making connections, other then soddering which I could do. Is any of the ribbon wires available at a radioshack by any chance? Thanks!

-tubachris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No radioshack only carry the basic components, try www.digikey.com or www.mouser.com, they might have a ribbon that will work. I'm trying to understand how your going to setup Lcd/camera in the helment could you explain more? By the way what make/model is that phone you are using?
jzawacki
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only input I have at this time is to remember battery life. Most cell phones drain the heck out of the battery when in camera mode.

Are you only looking for camera -> display?
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The brand of phone that I am using is an audiovox, what model, I do not know, but it has a blue stripe on the top half of it. What I want to do, is rig the camera either on the inside of the visor, (your left side) and place the screen where the rangefinder "false" screen is in the picture. Its sopposed to represent a computer of some kind, that swivels down in front of the right eye. As long as it fits it, thats all that matters. My other idea for rigging the camer, is to put the eye of the camera into one of the "bubble" details on the top of the RF box. That may work a bit better too, just because the camera would be closer to the screen. Just looking at the sub LCD screen here, Im gonna have to also install a backlight as well, or else I wont be able to see much of it.

I really like that night vision idea too, if I could incorporate that if possible. Thanks for the help!

-tubachris

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To see if the camera is infrared sensitive, get a tv remote and press any button. If the camera is IR sensitive you should be able to see light from Led through the screen.
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

remarque wrote:
To see if the camera is infrared sensitive, get a tv remote and press any button. If the camera is IR sensitive you should be able to see light from Led through the screen.

Yea, thats pretty neat! I couldnt do it with the camera from the phone, cause the ribbon cable was cut in half by accident, but I tried it with m digital camera and my cell phone's camera. How would you convert a camera to have night vision completly?

-tubachris
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jun 26, 2007 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tubachris85x wrote:
remarque wrote:

Yea, thats pretty neat! I couldnt do it with the camera from the phone, cause the ribbon cable was cut in half by accident, but I tried it with m digital camera and my cell phone's camera. How would you convert a camera to have night vision completly?

-tubachris

You need a filter that blocks visible light but passes the (near) infrared. One thing people use is a piece of exposed film.

There's a bunch of instructables about this on instructables.com. Here's one:

http://www.instructables.com/id/EY31TU6F2FQJVWJ/?relatedLink

Tired of buying cheap plastic crap? Now you can make your own! www.VacuumFormerPlans.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: