www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
The Man with No Name Gun

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:14 pm    Post subject: The Man with No Name Gun Reply with quote

In 1966, a new type of Western appeard on the silver screen, 'The Good, The Bad, And The Ugly' director Serio Leone forever changed the way we look at cowboy films. Gritty, long, and with a sound track like no other, along with Clint Eastwood's 'Blondie' character, TGTBTU remains one of my favorite Westerns.

Clint F. and I have been talking about recreating his gun, a 'not-so-historically-correct' 1851 Colt-Richards conversion. And with the popularity of Cowboy Action Shooting, http://www.cimarron-firearms.com has made a replica of his gun from that movie. Pretty cool!

One of these days, I'll have to make me one! I had no idea conversion kits for black power pistols were even available. Here are some more that Clint told me about:

http://www.uberti.com/firearms/armyConversion.tpl
http://www.randdgunshop.com/index.html
http://www.kirstkonverter.com/

My only requirements, I must be able to shoot .38 caliber ammo in it!

Fun stuff!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jim. I think that whenever I make my own Richards conversion, I'm going to use the kits from R&D, since I could use .38 Special wadcutter target rounds with theirs as well as the more period correct .38 Long Colt.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I do have some .38 special rounds, old stuff for the most part, no +P stuff. I'd like to get or make one, but the .36 cal. barrel seems like too odd to start with, and a turn key .38 Colt-Richards or Richards-Mason verison, if available, seems just the ticket. I think I'd have to add the extractor, though. Needs to be practical to shoot.

Very Happy

Last edited by jegner on Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I hear ya. The bore size of the .36 caliber is actually greater than that of the modern .38 (which is .357"), so hollow-based bullets are required, since they flare out to catch the rifling. I definitely agree about that extractor. I'll probably design my own, since the factory ones replace the old blackpowder loading lever. I kinda like how the loading lever looks, and want to find a way to keep it, but still be able to eject spent brass without having to use something like a pencil to knock em out, lol.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.kirstkonverter.com/colt.html has a kit that looks the business. Even has the extractor! Now to track down the right 1851 replica!

BTW, how did that Webley firing pin project turn out?
Clint F.
Novice

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2007 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd suggest the Uberti, the Piettas are nice too and will work fine. I own one of each, but I like the Uberti better. My Pietta seems to have a rather soft hammer, a bad heat treat. People regularly convert them to metallic cartridges, so it was probably just a fluke.

The Webley's hammer is coming along fine, I've got most of the weld cleaned up and will be able to do some test fitting soon.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 21, 2007 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking things over, it looks like a 8 inch octagonal barrel Uberti 1851 Navy Conversion is the way to go. In .38 Special [or .357 Magnum if that was available] would be my personal choice. "The Man with No Name" or 'Blondie' model is a cool option, but without an extractor, it's not too practical a shooting gun.

Trying to buy a black powder 1851 Navy, and then convert it myself, would be more expensive than getting one already converted.

It's cool that if you have a steel frame 1851, 1861 Colt black powder replica, or an 1858 Remington, you can convert them to fire cartridges. Some care must be taken as to what loads it can shoot, but still, thats a pretty neat option.
delorina

PostPosted: Fri Aug 14, 2009 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of gun do Police officers usually carry on them? Freshman in college studying to go into criminal justice. Doing a report on detectives/police officer work. Have a question on what type of gun they/you guys carry on you?
linu

PostPosted: Wed Jun 23, 2010 6:42 am    Post subject: No One Shoots Forever Reply with quote

Its a really superb place!. Visit - No One Shoots Forever
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Weapons Locker All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: