www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
yay

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
yodasoda

PostPosted: Sat Sep 17, 2005 5:48 pm    Post subject: yay Reply with quote

Very Happy I finally got my account reactivated. Thanks Jegner. I am going to be making my first vacuum form table soon. as soon as I get the thurston james book and make blue prints I'm going to start on it in my woodshop class. I'm going to be using it for making knight armor to sell on ebay to raise money for a medieval movie I have in the planning stages right now, and possibly a stormtrooper outfit for halloween. I'm so excited.
yodasoda

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a question on HIPS . Is that the same material they use for hard hats?
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HIPS stands for High-Impact Polystyrene sheet, and is NOT the same stuff hard hats are made from. That is injection molded ABS, a different material.

HIPs is a cousin to the same type of plastic, styrene, that your model kits are made from. Even the same glue used for those kits will bond HIPs.
Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
yodasoda

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I'm guessing from the name that it can take high impacts. See even though the majority of the weapons in my movie are going to be rubber they still have a hard core and I don't want the armor cracking if one of the extras gets to into the battle scene and whacks a bit to hard.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 18, 2005 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All of the original trooper armor for the original Star Wars films were made from HIPs. Its a good material for the home vacuum former. ABS, is another option, but to be honest' I've tried ABS and have not been happy with the results.

HIPs would hold up for what you need, I think. As long as you don't drag it behind a truck, or shoot it with a firearm, it should do fine.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: