www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Got This Little SHOP-VAC Pamphlet at Lowe's the other day...
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Got This Little SHOP-VAC Pamphlet at Lowe's the other day... Reply with quote

well

it has all this weird vacuum-stuff on it, like "ari watts" CFM (i'm familiar with that...), and "sealed pressure" descibed as "sealed pressure representes how far up a glass tube a vacuum-motor will lift a column of water, measured in inches." kinda sounds like inches/Hg, but i dunno.....

also the amps on these things are INSANE (i guess):

12W, 12W, 11.5W, 11.7W, 7.9W, 11.5W, 9.6W, 8.2W, 7.5W.....

i guess i should have picked up a shop-vac instead of a RIGID wet/dry vac, eh.....?

oh well....

i'll get a pic of it soon...

-------------------------------------------------------

TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's that info sheet, thingy:

these numbers are WAY higher than RIGID wet/dry vacs!

just a visual!

TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 6:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jim,

i BELIEVE you have the "Easy Mobility" vac, correct?

drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:18 pm    Post subject: Shop*Vac's are no great shakes, waste of money, etc. Reply with quote

An inch of water is only 0.07343 inches of mercury, because mercury is way heavier than water.

The BEST of those Shop*Vac brand machines pulls 4.4 inches of mercury.

That's:

0. only a little more than 2 PSI.

1. Less than my little Shark hand vac pulls (4.5 in Hg.)

2. Less than half what (somebody else here's) awesome Philips canister vacuum pulls, with its 18-amp motor and 3-stage pump, and

3. Less than a fifth the pull I get from my converted bike pump, or my converted electric tire inflator, much less my Thomas vacuum pumps (like Doug sells).

The bottom line, as I've said over and over again is:

Shop vacs are not especially good for vacuum forming. They're just vacuum cleaners that suck air through a bucket. They are no more powerful than a good canister vacuum with similar watts/amps that you can get for $5 at a Goodwill Outlet Store----and *worse* than some.

Shop vacuums are optimized to suck a lot of air against very little resistance. That doesn't help much when it comes down to sucking HARD to get good detail.

DON'T BUY A SHOP VAC FOR VACUUM FORMING. It's a big waste of money. Put the money toward a vacuum pump, or a compressor that you can convert to a vacuum pump.

Tired of buying cheap plastic crap? Now you can make your own! www.VacuumFormerPlans.com
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a Shop-Vac 6.5hp. But use it for more than just vacuum forming. I also have a Robinsair pump I got from Stomper. Finding a tank I like is the only thing keeping me from switching over, but I get accectable results from the shop-vac for the type of stuff I make a shop vac pulls fine. Double duty, as it helps keep my shop clean!

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
kayaker43
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul is right,.. no matter how much HP, or amps it pulls, No matter how much it dims the lights and hurts your ears, no matter how many stages they say it has, you won't get much over 5 inches of mercury. The biggest $300, 220 volt 3 stage motor may hit 6 in. Even the cheapest, smallest 1 gallon vacs flow more air then we can benefit from, but none of them suck hard enough. Don't spend much on your shop vac....

Despite this I still get arguments from people who swear their electrolux can suck the chrome off a bumper.

Not trying to sound arrogant but anyone who thinks their vac powered machine works good,.. just hasn't seen good yet! The difference really shows when you use thicker or difficult plastics. Thankfully many people can get the job done with thin gauge styrene or ABS parts.
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:09 pm    Post subject: non-obvious benefits of high vacuum Reply with quote

kayaker43 wrote:

Not trying to sound arrogant but anyone who thinks their vac powered machine works good,.. just hasn't seen good yet!

later edit
After I wrote the stuff below, I got to thinking more about it, I'm not sure how strong the effect I'm talking about is... I'm not even absolutely sure it's true at all. It's how it SEEMS to me---when I switched to high vacuum, I got better results with less effort, even for thin plastic.

I could be misunderstanding what happened, though. It could be partly that I just got better at vacuum forming around the time I switched to high vacuum, but I don't really think that explains what I've observed.

It could also be that when I was using low vacuum only, I was usually letting the plastic sag too much, and it didn't really give me much better detail---just more webbing. Maybe if I'd gotten better at vacuum forming with low vacuum, I'd have cut back on the sag and gotten better results that way...?

I'm leaving this possibly-wrong posting here so I can ask a question:

Is this true? Have other people had a similar experience switching to high vacuum and getting less webbing & more fun? Or am I fooling myself?

end of EDIT

The difference shows in another way, but it took me a while to realize what I was seeing.

With high vacuum, I get a webbing less often, and I don't sweat as much over hard-to-form places on or around molds. Just turn the lever, and it works.

You don't need to let the plastic sag as much (and overstretch) to get it soft enough to get good detail, so it does a better job of snugging in on the mold without folding over on itself. (It's still mostly rubbery and stretchable when you form it, rather than already stretched out.)

If you do a lot of shapes with a tendency toward minor webbing, like human faces, this is a really nice thing; the webbing usually just goes away. (Of course, if you have stuff with a major tendency toward webbing, you still have to do something else to get rid of it.)

I'd guess that since I switched to high vacuum, I get webbing about a quarter as often. Very cool.

I also generally don't have to do that thing where you push the plastic down around the buck to get it to form there... the high vacuum just sucks it down. Neat.

High vacuum just makes vacuum forming *easier*.

And that's with a really low-end high-vacuum system with a small tank. (A $20 7-gallon air carry tank from Wal-mart.) Even a few seconds of high vacuum does the trick.

That's for a small platen (usually 12" x 18") with a fairly poor platen seal. (Using a vacuum cleaner for the initial pulldown, and as a fallback when the tank fills up.)

I'm guessing it will have about the same effect on a 2 x 2 foot machine with a better seal. The amount of vacuum you need after the first-stage pulldown doesn't depend on the area of the platen so much as the perimeter, and on the quality of the seal. (A 12 x 18 platen has 5/8 of the perimeter that a 2 x 2 foot platen does, even though it only has about a third of the area. With a good platen-edge seal, it should work just as well for a 2 x 2 platen.)

Jim, I'm guessing you would see a similar improvement with a two-stage plumbing setup and that Robinaire pump. If it can keep up with the leakage around your platen edge, you don't need a tank at all---just use the vacuum cleaner for the first stage and the vacuum pump for the second. If it can't keep up, throw in a $20 tank for a few seconds of quality vacuum, and you'll get better detail and/or less webbing, with less real-time pushing-the-plastic-in-by-hand.

You can get by without high vacuum, but even for thin plastic, it makes vacuum forming easier and more fun.

Tired of buying cheap plastic crap? Now you can make your own! www.VacuumFormerPlans.com

Last edited by drcrash on Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:49 am; edited 2 times in total
kayaker43
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm,.. my last post still sounded a bit arrogant. I don't mean to belittle anyones efforts at vacuum forming. Costume armor is one of the best uses for vac powered machines, and for many that's all they need.

I'm just trying to communicate that there is much more forming power available if you need it. Unfortunately its hard to start with a shop vac system and try to soup it up later. Shop Vac's offer high flow and tolerate all kinds of sins when it comes to platen design. Once you start moving up the vacuum scale, you have to get more anal about leakage and excess volume.

While we're bashing vacuum cleaners, here's some trivia:

750 watts is 1HP. so a 15 amp 120 volt circuit won't support much over 2 HP,.. someone explain to me how you can buy a 6.5 HP vac?? That "peak" thing is just the spike you see on startup.

The reason they use inches of water instead of mercury is because it makes big impressive numbers.

The big 2 inch hoses make the vacuum seem more powerful on your hand because its grabbing more surface area and they usually build a little compressability into the hoses to give the impression of awsome power.

And finally,... that ear splitting howl you hear when the hose is plugged is not the motor struggling for all its worth. Its actually unloading because the impeller is stalled. The highest load that motor sees is when sucking free air.
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An interesting thing in that table is that the lower-powered Shop*Vac(TM)'s pull nearly as hard as the higher-powered ones. The 7.5 amp ("2.5 HP") machine only pulls 10 percent less hard than the 12.0 amp ("6.5 HP") machine.

That suggests to me that

1. the HP ratings are as meaningless as Doug says they are

2. the higher-powered machines, which SHOULD pull substantially harder than the lower-powered machines, are optimized for higher CFM, not higher vacuum, and only pull a little bit harder. They can pull substantially more air, which you don't need, but they can't pull a small amount of air significantly harder.

If that's true of shop vacuums in general, it would explain why Jim didn't notice a difference between a 3.5 and a 6.5 (for vacuum forming)---basically, there just isn't much difference. The cheapest Shop Vac in that pamphlet is about as good for vacuum forming as the most expensive one. (And they're all comparable to a typical canister vacuum.)

A 10 percent difference in forming pressure doesn't generally give you noticeably different results. A factor of two or four does.

On the other hand, the higher CFM shop vac may be better for cleaning up your shop, making a wider swath of air moving fast enough to pick up sawdust and stuff. If you need more CFMS, it's got them.

drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:01 am    Post subject: self-doubt & a question Reply with quote

I'm not confident of what I said in my second-to-last post, so I edited a meta-comment in at the beginning, and now I'd like to ask: is it true? Do you get less webbing with high vacuum because you can use less sag?

Or was I just bad at using low vacuum, and not using the "right" amount of sag in the first place?

(Doug, I'd be especially interested in your opinion on that, since you probably have the most experience with both high and low vacuum systems, and have obviously thought about this sort of issue a lot.)

kayaker43
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes,.. I think the only effect higher vacuum has on webbing, is that it allows you to use less sag. which helps to some small extent. Shop vacs force you to overheat the plastic to compensate for less suction.

The other debate is whether applying vacuum fast or slow has any effect on webbing. I'm thinking no, or negligible just based on observations. I can however make a weak argument why it might, but don't have time to set up controlled tests.

Webbing is complex, yet understandable. It could be the topic of a very boring book Shocked
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you open up your shop vac you'll find a vacuum motor much like the ones listed here. www.grainger.com #2m195 The best vacuum this design will deliver is about 6in hg. no matter how many stages it has.
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fredo wrote:
If you open up your shop vac you'll find a vacuum motor much like the ones listed here. www.grainger.com #2m195 The best vacuum this design will deliver is about 6in hg. no matter how many stages it has.

Actually some of the 3-stage "vacuum motors" (motor/blower combos) on Grainger are claimed to deliver a bit over 10 in. Hg.

For example, Grainger item 4M921, which is supposed to do 137.1 inches of water (sealed); that's more than 2x anything on the chart tk109 posted.
But it's $173... For that kind of money, you can do a lot better with a cheap vacuum cleaner and a surplus vacuum pump or converted compressor.

Plasticman
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have often wondered how a central vac woulf do for vac forming. You know, one of those vacs that is located in a basement or garage and has pipe running throughout the house. I bet if it were just hooked up to table it would pull pretty good.
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

woa!

lotsa input!

well, so far i pull fine with armor, i mean i can put risers on the molds, and get a decent pull. that's my humble little vac-machine for ya!

but you're right doug.

i completely understand what you are saying.

now, i've heard (from some other thread) that you can get better performance with shop-vacs not by connecting the hoses in sequece, but by making a box and sealing it, and cutting out lage holes for the shop-vac heads to fit through, then adding weather stripping to that, and having a single hose coming out of that box unit thingy.

has anyone tried this, does it REALLY make a difference, and is it REALLY worth it? i'm just trying to come up with some ideas in case i can't get the tight pull i need in a tight situation.

i'm thinking too hard again... Laughing

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: