www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
UPDATE: 7/5/08, Making Little Mods to the Armor
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Aug 19, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: UPDATE: 7/5/08, Making Little Mods to the Armor Reply with quote

well, you may have already seen this:

i finally figured out my oven, and here are the results, a full armor set!

so far, i have pretty much everything assembled, just some minor things like foam, voice system, velcro, webbing, ect.

here are some pics:

the armor shirt, chest side.

new on the right, old on the left....

armor shirt, upper back side.

new on the right, old on the left....

new calf armor, with boots, front veiw

view from the back

so, that's what's going on so far. i have also assebled the abs/cod/lower back/butt/belt/drop boxes/ thermal detonator as one part, the forearms, hands, biceps and thighs are all done. i just need to add some detail features.

that armor shirt makes me look big... that's a good thing.

-------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by TK 109 on Thu Jun 05, 2008 2:47 pm; edited 1 time in total
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, now i have the armor assembled, and i have test-fitted.

will get pics of me in the new armor soon!

pics:

and a video (if you want to see some more)

TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks jim! Very Happy

Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too shabby!! Very Happy You must be one SKINNY muthah to fit into those legs!! Wink
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Aug 21, 2007 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks stomper! Laughing

you are correct, i am skinny, and aparrently it shows, eh?

i'm making modifications to the thighs, as there parts are the only ones now that are still made to my dementions. once i modify the thighs, i think the armor will look more balanced (ie, no HUGE HUGE tiny HUGE BIG tiny, but more like BIG BIG BIG BIG (but still fits me))

that's kinda what i'm doing, making to molds to my dementions, and the actual dementions, to give me growing roome, and to minimize issues like looking at the armor and seeing how big it is compared to the actual person.

here's a pic:

http://tk1536.com/images/funfacts/fun12.jpg

TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

i have bought an under-armour-type sirt at target for $15. a nice pick up.

i need to complete my thigh molds, and order some more HIPS to vacuform the new molds, ie inner and outer forearms, hands, and thighs. should be fairly easy. Very Happy i have all the materials needed to assemble the armor.

i have also found an "E-11 KENNER/HASBRO BLASTER CONVERSION SKIN KIT" on Ebay. around $46-$47 to ship from the UK. see my post on this subject for more info.

will HOPFULLY have pics of me in my new and improved armor in a week or so.

i am also thinking of making a blaster holster out of some tan vinyl i have here at home, if my mom will let me have some...

i need to paint that vinyl black, though. is reaguar ole' plastic spray paint safe foe this thin vinyl, or should i use dye or acrylc paint?

this armor is going to be pretty nifty if all goes well! Very Happy

jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use a spray paint for vinyl. You can get it from any automotive store. You would be better off with some black vinyl. You don't need much, maybe some scrap from an upholstery shop?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, cool! Cool

do you think i could find that vinyl spray paint at wal-mart or miejer in the auto-section? i could only find bondo "GLAZING AND SPOT PUTTY" at miejer and "spot-filler" primer, so maybe they'll carry this? i think i've seen this paint before, i just need to remember where.

thanks!

TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Sep 15, 2007 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another little update:

i got plastic, but it was the wrong stuff! i ordered 0.060 HIPS and the sent me 0.125 haircell ABS.... i asked then what was up, and the apologized a million times, and said they'd send out the right stuff. they said i could keep the ABS. i had nothing else to do, so i tried it out! here are the results:

the first pull i did with this stuff was the chest. it pulled ok, had some texture show through, though, and obtaining an airtight seall was tough, but i got it. would i use it? no.

dissapointed with the texture, i tried the chest again. i could not get the corners hot, so i got no air seal. bad pull, shiny plastic!

undaunted, i thew the upper back on the platen, and heated again. once again, no airtigh seal. by this time i realized my plastic was slipping out from the top (as it has no screws holding it in place). i tighted my clamps up, and loaded another piece. i wanted to see if this stuff could pull tight detail....

it did. but the seall was, once agaian, tough to get. i did sme research on this forum and discovered the ABS has to droop 2-3 times more than styrene, and the texture will show up, no matter what. here, the texture showed through SEVERELY. (hopefully, you can see it on the right side of the backpack box-thingy....) oh well. it was just for fun, anywho! Laughing

ABS is definatly the stuff to work with for armor. but a shiny suit is not a priority for me right now. just getting a solid suit in would be great! if i discover that smooth/smooth 1/6th inch ABS can be obtained cheaply from my plastic supplier(S), then i might just make the armor i have now into a sandtrooper, and than make a SHINY stormtrooper later. but for now, i'm good to go with styrene.

the other bit of info i have to share is my new molds are now DONE! i examined my abs/cod and lower back/butt molds, and compared them with isreal franco's templates, and these new molds should tie the suit together. here are the thighs:

ugly, but smooth as glass almost! that sign says: MARINE PARKING ONLY. ALL OTHERS WILL BE CRUSHED! (my dad... 9 years in the marine corps!)

i also re-did my forearms to be more defined, the hands for a more accurate look, and the power cell has a new 1/4" base, for a tighter pull on the surface:

the JE2-stlye layout.... Wink hey, it covers everything!

and now, a final shot of the haircell ABS:

i've got a 4' square left over, hopfully for dr. crash.

that's it! i got to get some dinner, and some new contacts!

Very Happy

TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 02, 2007 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK!

I'm ALMOST finished with the armor now! i'm just waiting on that hasbro e-11 conversion kit (8 days to go now..... i hope....), and a little more touch-up on the armor. PICS!

oops. resized by accident..... too small. you get the idea. i went for the 501st submission photos look on these shots.

chest.... very flat!

i don't like this shot at all. makes to back look too big, and its kinda flares out a bit.

other side.... i'm skinny....

these photos are a bit better, with some action. i like these a lot....

this pose MIGHT look a bit familiar to you guys.... notice i have MUCH better spacing between the parts, and the back is kinda sticking out at the side there..... other than that, my personal favorite shot!

this is the image of the stormtrooper at the front of the star wars visual dictionary. i don't like these straight-on shots, they make my helmet look bad, as in the helmet makes me look like mr. pinhead!

Laughing

i don't like this one either. based off of the stormtrooper pages in the star wars visual dictionary. the chest and back pop out really weird here....

finally, the other trooper on those pages. i like this, my thighs are BIT low, and the helmet looks small(ish....), but other than that, looks passable!

overall i am VERY happy with the final look. i have yet to modify my blaster, and figure out a way to mount the voice amp systems, but the armor is done!

now, the question is......

what do you guys think? more modifications? less? stick with it?

oh! and another bold question...........

first, does the 501st accept custom-made vacuformed armor?

if so, do you think this would pass their inspection?

VERY BOLD QUESTIONS INDEED.... Shocked

you guys have done VERY well in helping me out here, i should have a vacuum-forming video out soon, my armor is looking the best it's ever looked, and i think i'll do a little video tutorial on making that blaster (or not......), and i may do a quick vid of me in my armor. looks better when mobile, i think.....

please post what you think!

Thanks guys!

Very Happy

Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Alex... you are SKINNY!! Razz

Yes the 501st does accept "custom" molded armor... mine was sculpted and vac-formed by a pretty terrific guy who frequents these forums as a matter of fact! I did the custom trimming, assembly and painting on it to suit my body-type. It's by NO MEANS 100% movie accurate, but it's better than most kits out there.

Now, you have asked a couple questions that may put a few folks around here "on the spot". As NOBODY here (they better not anyway) wants to criticize or squash someone's enthusiasm for what they present here publicly, and REALIZING that they expose themselves which takes a lot of courage don't want to "get involved", hence nobody has answered your questions since you asked them a couple days ago.

So keep in mind that since you ASKED for input, I will give you some that is TOTALLY in the spirit of helping you improve what you are doing, and trying to accomplish. I'm an officer in my local 501st garrison (Cloud City Garrison) and I spend a fair amount of time reviewing applicant submission photos of current and prospective members, so based on my experience upholding 501st standards I'm going to give you the input you asked for.

Although I have seen them accepted, I would honestly have to say that your helmet is unacceptable, because it is either a Rubies or Don Post vinyl bucket that is squashed looking and would require some modifications to get it closer. The rest of your armor is a FANTASIC first start, and I realize you made it more proportional to your build, but I see areas that could stand for some tweaking here and there. I by no means am shredding your efforts because you made a VERY RESPECTABLE set of armor, you DEFINATELY have the talent and abilities to crank out some excellent stuff, but here are a few things I can see room for improved accuracy:

1. The back plate details should be scaled down a bit.
2. You have an ANH Sandtrooper sniper knee plate on a clean ESB/ROTJ version Stormtooper (based on your ab-plate buttons).
3. The drop boxes should be a bit smaller.
4. The hand plates look a smidge elongated.
5. On your left-side and right-side profile the chest plate actually "kinks" on the edge, a rolled edge will prevent this as well as give the armor a "thicker" look.
6. Your ab-plate buttons are ESB/ROTJ, are you going for that version or ANH version TK armor?
7. Your bucket needs to either be modified so it keeps a more proper shape or replaced with either an FX, TE, TE2, or RT-Mod style of bucket.

I hope that helps you out!! Very Happy

Here are some of my 501st submittal photos of me holding a scratch-built E-11 (that I made), while wearing my fan-made ANH version TK armor for you to compare to:

TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you VERY much for you informational feedback, and pics, tony!

let's see.....

i have been thinking about the ab buttons lately, easy fix, the button box area just needs flipping over, and those little ridges need to be added below that "solo" button on the right of the main box. i also have noticed that the right strip of buttons on the side need to have one more button on there!

the hand pieces, i'm actually surprised about! i followed isreal franco's templates.... and i figured those were from measurements from an fx kit, or something. i think the reason why they look long is that the tops are actually curved out a lot. good eyes!

Very Happy

ok, the knee plate. i'd LIKE to keep it sandtrooper, but in order to do that, i need an anh style abs plate, hands (done), ect. is the 501st cool with a sandtrooper knee plate on a stormtrooper calf piece? i think so, but i wanna check...

drop boxes smaller? can do, also suprised at this. got measurements for this from the stormtrooper statue-thingy (studiocreations.com). the boxes i had before a long gone, but is an easy mold to redo!

the backplate. ooo boy ( Laughing ). well, i did this once again for isreal franco's measurements, and i discovered it was an amazingly large mold! but..... the fx trooper's backplate is kinda big, too right? i mean, not HUGE, but covers the lower back a bit, like yours.

sound like i need to cange my ways of trimming out the final chest, too, will do!

the helmet. OOHH man! yeah, every helmet i've seen is WAY beyond the money i want to spend on a bucket. i think i have unreasonable price-expectations, i guess. i look all over the plase, and most everything is $300!! what i think i should do is build-up clay on a plaster positive mold of my helmet, in different sections, and just vacuform those pieces. insane....

ok, to-do if i ever want to have 501st-approved armor:

1. smaller backplate
2. what am i? ESB, ROTJ, ANH? ANH. adjust abs!
3. smaller drop boxes? eh. i can do that, but how small should they be...?
4. trim out armor to give a thicker look (chest)
5. adjust hand pieces? honestly, i don't think i really need to.... BUT.....
6. HELMET!! Arg! i knew i should have invested in something better...

ok. this may cost me a boatload more money. what i'd like to do is be good enough for the 501st, and join! but if it's going to cost me an additional $400 more, i dunno...........

but hey, tony thanks for the advise, man. i really appreciate the feedback! you're armor looks really nice, by the way!

hhhhhmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.... i REALLY gotta think about this one....

i was just looking at my photos thinking, "i can go to the 501st in this armor!" i MIGHT, but i dunno...

where does one get a cheap, quality helmet? what are the essential things i need to adjust to be accepted into the 501st? these questions a floating through my head....

nice Halloween costume though! Laughing

i'm looking at the pics of me and you... and thinking... hehe... i'm skinny! i'm also thinknig i could blend in well with march of troopers (to the untrained eye).

i must ponder these things.....

thanks again for the info. it REALLY helps me out, seriously. not offended in any way! you approached this well, i must say!

thanks a fourth time!

Very Happy

Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm always glad to help Alex! One thing about the "501st hobby" thing... it is NOT conducive to "cheap" or "inexpensive". You can expect to have several hundred to well over $1,000 invested in a full armor costume, less if you make your own armor like you are doing, but still... expect to shell out some money nonetheless. Shocked I have seen a few local troopers try to take the "cheap and easy" route, and in the end they got what they paid for... cheap and easy, just not very professional looking results. Sad
You might be able to score a FX bucket for around $100-$200 from one of the various 501st detachment websites, BUT they aren't as nice as the more accurate looking buckets as they remind me of a bobble-head figurine from the side, but they are acceptable for 501st standards! Laughing

I'm looking forward to seeing what you produce in the near future!! Wink
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Oct 05, 2007 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First off, congrats to you. You are one of only a handfull of guys that have even attempted to make their own armor. That effort alone deserves a medal. You should be proud of what you have accomplished. In my opinion, I think you did a fine job.

Now, having said that, Tony is right about everything he said. I'm not in the officers corps like Tony, but if I were you, I'd run your armor past your local 501st and see what they think. You never know, and be sure to tell them you made your own!

The real issue I have with your costume is that helmet. The part you did not make! Man, I wish Lucas would make a decent helmet that was affordable.

IMHO, the helmet is 80% of a costume. Get the helmet right, and the rest will happen. You never know when a good helmet might pop up on ebay or someone might be willing to help you with your own... One thing you can do with that Rubies/DonPost lid is to reinforce it to hold it's shape. One trick I saw done to a Boba Fett was to get one of those knitting loops from the hobby store. Put it in the base to help force it round.

As for things you can change. If the 501st give you a hard time, well, thats one of the fun things about this hobby. Me, I've been revising my molds since the day I made the first one, trying to get it more accurate.

And me, I'm 6'2" 195lbs. A bit skinnier that Tony, but about the same height LOL. Fleshing out the armor, mainly the thighs and biceps will help with the overall look something I had to do. Stuff some foam in that armor and you can bulk up in no time.

Kudos to a job well done. Refining and 'upgrade' is half the fun of this crazy hobby.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: