www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
more fun vacuum forming craft foam (cartoonish masks)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:09 am    Post subject: more fun vacuum forming craft foam (cartoonish masks) Reply with quote

For Halloween, my wife and I are probably just going as ourselves... only simplified in a sort of generic/cartoony way.

She took a life cast of me and smoothed away all the fine detail with modeling clay, to make a "plain" face that resembles me. Then we recast it (adding vent holes and a built-in riser int he process) and vacuum formed a few different colors of craft foam over it. She cut out eyebrows, hair and beard, and lips from those and glued them onto a peach-colored one, to get this:

The eyebrows are repositionable, so depending on my mood, you might see these:

Tired of buying cheap plastic crap? Now you can make your own! www.VacuumFormerPlans.com
CJanssen
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool mask doc...switch that peach color to a yellow and you'd be ready for the Simpsons Smile

Love those adjustable brows, people gotta know when your angry. Mad

CJ
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2007 2:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice, very cool!

-------------------------------------------------------

crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you stepped right out of the Dire Straits video "Money for Nothing"

http://youtube.com/watch?v=x8Qvv3RdW-Q

That's a really cool variation on the craft foam. At first I was wondering why you were showing off your CGI skills, then I realized those were real photos Razz

The eyebrows remind me of Toy Story 2 when Mrs. Potato Head said "I also packed your angry eyebrows!"

Very creative!

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very cool!

Speakig of adjusting the eyebrows... try rotating each one 180 degrees!! Wink

drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:00 am    Post subject: another mask (diffuser plastic & craft foam at Burning M Reply with quote

Thanks for the kudos, guys. (We'll definitely incorporate Tony's anguished eyebrow inversion into our expression vocabulary.)

Here's another mask we worked on... helping with the concept and the vacuum forming, but leaving the artistry and cosmic significance up to Laura Lea Nalle, for her "Greenhouse Project" at Burning Man 2007.

Here's a rough preliminary version... she re-did it better, but I like the lighting in this shot:

The mask is basically vacuum formed styrene diffuser plastic from a fluorescent light diffuser ceiling panel. ("White mist" texture, which is a fairly fine texture that mostly looks luminuous.) On top of that there are two layers of vacuum-formed craft foam, with parts cut out so that some places the middle layer shows, and other places the luminous bottom layer shows.

The mask is mounted on a styrofoam wig head I cut the face off of and hollowed out with the hot knife I made from a soldering pistol. That let Laura Lea put LED lights in it, far enough back from the mask to get an even glow. (The whole head actually glows somewhat.)

Here's a shot of the 2nd and final version in daylight, on the Playa at Burning Man:

And here it is at night:

Unfortunately, I don't have any close-up or off-axis pictures that would really do justice to the 3D shape, which came out really nicely... so here's a couple of longer shots:

Here's the artist/model (we used a life cast we made of her face as the mold) with her cosmic thing:

And here's a shot during the fabled Burn, with the proverbial Man, burning, in the background.

Tired of buying cheap plastic crap? Now you can make your own! www.VacuumFormerPlans.com
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 11:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Speaking of Burning Man, I heard some joker set the thing on fire TOO SOON this year!! Laughing
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stomper wrote:
Speaking of Burning Man, I heard some joker set the thing on fire TOO SOON this year!! Laughing

Yeah, the idiot thought he was making a "statement", and torched the man early.

That was not a huge deal in itself---they mobilized a bunch of people to rebuild the man in a few days, in time for the scheduled burn, and that was sort of a cool community-pulling-together kind of thing.

The problem is that it wasn't just the Man that burned.... tens of thousands of dollars worth of painstakingly constructed art and lots of expensive gear got destroyed. (And a lot of work with no particular price that people put a whole lot of work into, and irreplaceable stuff with sentimental value that peple placed around the man intending that it be removed before the burn, etc.)

One sculptor lost a whole bunch of huge hard carved sculptures that took months each to build, and would normally sell for something like $10K each. (Without making him rich, given how much work he puts into them.) He also thousands and thousands of dollars worth of other people's gear that he'd borrowed or rented. (Trailers, tools, support systems.) He didn't have enough money to replace the stuff, so last I heard, he's financially screwed. (They were taking up a collection for him, but I doubt that'll cover it.)

They should tie the arsonist to the Man next time for the burn. That'd make an interesting statement, too.

Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2007 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awww dang, I had no idea so many lost so much over that... bummer! Sad

I know I would have gotten some "payback" on the guy if I had lost my arse like that. Making a "statement"... what kind of "statement", other than he's a selfish jerk?! Confused

I just can't abide people who show a blantant disregard for other people's lives and their property like that, I hope they filed charges against him!! Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: