www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
a couple of questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tyhodge07

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 2:10 am    Post subject: a couple of questions Reply with quote

1st, is there a certain ammount or space a box should have compared to the object being formed? i have a box that isnt to big, just large enough to do rc car bodies for micros and i ran a couple test bodies with just regular styrene and i seem to have a problem with it forming all the way down the sides.. am i not heating it long enough or am u doing something else wrong? also, are there any hardware stores that i could go to locally and buy sheets of lexan?
CJanssen
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you placing spacers underneath your mold? I have placed my molds very close to the edge and the pulls are good with the spacers. I use 1/8" strips of paneling although pretty much anything will work as long as it allows airflow under the mold.

Sorry, I know nothing about Lexan.

CJ
tyhodge07

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nope, i didnt use any spacers... you think using some sort of spacer, like a piece of thin wood would do the job?
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Sun Nov 18, 2007 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I refer to them as risers. Get some 3/4" MDF (medium brown particle board) and a jigsaw. Draw the outline of your mold onto the MDF, then cut with the jigsaw set to a 20 to 30 degree angle, flaring out from the mold outline. Use some tape to hold the mold onto the MDF piece and pull your plastic.

The MDF riser will reduce the angle where the plastic transitions from the vertical surface of your mold to the horizontal surface of the platen.

Most hardware stores do not carry sheets of plastic (except acrylic - too brittle, and "for sale" signs). Especially for Lexan, you'll need to go to a specialty plastics supplier, or a local sign making shop - look in your phonebook.

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that in general, all other things being equal, you want extra plastic around your mold roughly equal to the height of the mold, if the mold is fairly steep-sided. Where it's not steep-sided, you need less extra plastic.

If you have less plastic than that, it has to stretch more, and you get more thinning. If you have a lot more than that, you're more likely to get webbing.

For multiple molds, you want about the same amount of room around each one, not overlapping, so spacing steep-sided molds apart by 2x the mold height (or the taller one's height, I think) is good. (Between molds, you're *more* likely to get webbing if you don't have enough extra plastic, becuase it makes a ridge between the molds, like a pup tent between two tent poles, and that ridge may suck in on itself and create a crease rather than sucking down to the platen first.)

Tired of buying cheap plastic crap? Now you can make your own! www.VacuumFormerPlans.com
tyhodge07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, ill search for the lexan at some stores around me, im just not wanting to order some.. i might just run a styrene body for a bit.

and for this:
Yup, I refer to them as risers. Get some 3/4" MDF (medium brown particle board) and a jigsaw. Draw the outline of your mold onto the MDF, then cut with the jigsaw set to a 20 to 30 degree angle, flaring out from the mold outline. Use some tape to hold the mold onto the MDF piece and pull your plastic.

i dont quiet understand what your saying.. are you saying i want it to be cut inwards from the outer of the mold.. or outwards from the outer of the mold..

and here is what im working with, i can angle it to corner to corner and probably have better luck i assume.

(and no the mold isnt just flat, its an actual buggy mold, its just the flash, lol)
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The top of the riser should be the same size & shape as the bottom of your mold. It should flare outward as you go down to the platen so that its base is bigger all around than its top.

Tired of buying cheap plastic crap? Now you can make your own! www.VacuumFormerPlans.com
tyhodge07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, is there a certain length i want it to go out or just a little bit.. and im making a new top piece for it, i pan to put little stoppers on the side and have it all go over the whole top of the box to where the plasitc, lexan whatever i use stays flat and straight across.. good or bad idea? oh and itll have a rubber molding around, just have to get that, i redid the top of it last night from how i had it before hoping to change my forming of the body.
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tyhodge07 wrote:
alright, is there a certain length i want it to go out or just a little bit..

To get the slant 20 or 30 degrees, you want the side to go out about half as fast as it goes down, so making the base of your riser bigger than the top by the height of the riser will work. (Flaring out half the height on each side.) so if your riser is, say, 1/2" thick, the outline of the base should be around 1/4" outside the outline for the top.

tyhodge07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright thanks.. you think my box has enough space for it the stretch enough without getting to thin?
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a picture of a sandtrooper radio faceplate mold and the riser I cut for it. The circles in the riser allow air to be drawn through the mold to encourage the plastic to be drawn down into the details (of course, the mold has holes drilled through it).

And with the mold sitting on top of the riser (with tape sandwiched in between to ensure the mold doesn't move when the plastic comes down):

When I pull plastic over this, it pulls down sharp along the vertical sides of the mold, then flares out as it meets the riser. I pull the riser out, then extract the mold from the plastic (using gentle tapping on top of soft eggcrate foam). Here's a boatload of pulled radio faceplates:

You trim the plastic at the bottom of the mold where it meets the riser.

For RC Car bodies, you should test with HIPS, but because they take a beating, you will find the HIPS does not last long - it will crack and split apart. Just ask Kookas from down under in this thread:
http://www.tk560.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=256&highlight=car+bodies

But the HIPS is good to practice with, then once you have your mold fine tuned, pull in Lexan or PETG. And yes, you've got plenty of room to add a riser to your mold without stretching the plastic too thin.

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice wrok charlie!

i use little 3/4" blocks of wood and put them under my molds. i call them feet. they really help me figure out how to trim the parts i need. the 20-30 degree angle idea would also help trimming, actually. i got to try this someday... Smile

-------------------------------------------------------

tyhodge07

PostPosted: Mon Nov 19, 2007 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alright, were in the middle of packing to move.. this was something i wanted to get finished up over the winter.. and now i got a heads up to what i need to do.. i might even build a larger box Smile
tyhodge07

PostPosted: Sun Dec 30, 2007 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i propped it up and it formed perfectly, couldnt be any better.. now i got another question.. is there a certain material i could use that may be laying around the house thats clear, i cant find lexan around here and cant order any at this time but want to get a clear body on this thing so i can get it sent out for a guy to throw a test paint on it. Cool

TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acrylic for windows (metal doors that swing open and closed)?

you can find acrylic in the size you need at lowe's or home depot. try looking there.

-------------------------------------------------------

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: