www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Filters Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 8:50 pm    Post subject: Filters Help Reply with quote

Ok so I have read alot about filters but I need to know where to get them and a good cost. I did find this http://www.veneersupplies.com/product_info.php?products_id=1100 but the issue with this is that the fitting is 1/4 and I want to go with a 3/8 piping not smaller to allow good air flow. Any suggestions would be great please!?!?! If it helps I have a 6cfm Robinair 15600 i got for 130 off craigs list so I like to keep its life as long as I can. Wink
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got to thinking if it would hurt much to convert from 3/8 fitting pipe to a 1/4 pipe to use the 1/4 fitting filter on the pump. Would I loose good air flow though?
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even if a filter has very low resistance, 1/4" fittings will ensure that it restricts flow to what a 1/4" pipe can handle. 3/8" pipes won't do you much good if you have 1/4" connections in and out of the filter.

(Max air flow under vacuum is generally proportional to the square of the diameter, so a 1/4" pipe or fitting has a bit less than half the flow capacity of a 3/8" fitting.)

What size is the intake fitting on your pump?

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you use flexible hoses with barb fittings, you need them to be a size bigger, or the inside diameter of the barbs will be the bottleneck. (And that's substantially smaller than the ID of the hose it fits into. So, for example, if you want to preserve the flow of a 1/4" piping system, you want 3/8" ID hoses and barbs.)

Tired of buying cheap plastic crap? Now you can make your own! www.VacuumFormerPlans.com
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for responding. The fitting on the pump is a 3/8 I am just having issues finding filters at a good cost for 3/8 inch. Also I will be using Metal piping like I see with the other bigger formers to be sure the opening is big and not small.
drcrash
Guru

PostPosted: Sat Nov 24, 2007 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahillworks wrote:
The fitting on the pump is a 3/8 I am just having issues finding filters at a good cost for 3/8 inch. Also I will be using Metal piping like I see with the other bigger formers to be sure the opening is big and not small.

PVC piping works just fine; it's plenty strong enough to withstand vacuum, and the material doesn't affect the air flow capacity. A 1/2" (or 1") metal pipe is no better than a 1/2" (or 1") plastic one.

Tired of buying cheap plastic crap? Now you can make your own! www.VacuumFormerPlans.com
cod
Master

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 2:27 am    Post subject: Re: Filters Help Reply with quote

ahillworks wrote:
Ok so I have read alot about filters but I need to know where to get them and a good cost. I did find this http://www.veneersupplies.com/product_info.php?products_id=1100 but the issue with this is that the fitting is 1/4 and I want to go with a 3/8 piping not smaller to allow good air flow. Any suggestions would be great please!?!?! If it helps I have a 6cfm Robinair 15600 i got for 130 off craigs list so I like to keep its life as long as I can. Wink

http://www.tk560.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=574&highlight=filter

dunno if you already read this thread, becasue I have the same pump and got filters soon thereafter from ebay, and it all seems to work fine.

try a search on ebay for 'line filter dryer'
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After looking at Crashmanns' Gast 1065 in the vac- former gallery it has what looks to be a 3/8 intake filter. I could be wrong but a pump that size should have a 3/8 intake port. It might have come with the pump but only Crashmann knows for sure................Fredo
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 10:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty, you made me have to break out the ruler and go check it out. Fortunately, one of the fittings was marked as 1/2" (you don't have to rely on my eye-chrometer for the measurements Smile )

The intake and output ports on the Gast 1065 pump which connect to the filters are 1/2" I recently purchased a replacement filter assembly from RG Group in Pennsylvania (http://www.rg-group.com) $47.00 for a 32 ounce glass jar with metal top and filter element (part AA800C)

All of the metal plumbing under the forming platen is 3/4" I believe the "high pressure washing machine hose" was 5/8" and it took some wrestling to get the 3/4" barb fitting inside (but it's not going to come out!) The little hose to the vac gauge is 1/4" inner diameter. This is only used to measure the vacuum at the platen, and is not inline with the flow to the tank, so there are no worries about constricting the air flow.

Are you using a large vacuum tank to hold vac? If that's the case, then make those your large pipe connections. The plumbing to the pump doesn't need to be huge, since it will be constricted by the 3/8" port, but I wouldn't go any smaller than that.

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well since I was tight on cash at the time I went with 3/8 piping. The connection on the pump is a 3/4. So this is what I am going to do since i found a 3/8 filter and its on its way I will convert the pump down to 3/8 fitting to work with the rest of the piping. I figured it this way really. All the formers I see are big. Mine is small and by the way I’m sealing the pipes and leaks I am hoping won’t be an issue. I guess it’s a matter of finishing and trying the first pull. I figure I still have room to change things around if needed. Since the table is smaller keep in mind the pipes act as space as well so if you add the length of space on piping and the tank there should be enough air flow to pull. BUTTTTTT if not I am not as stupid as I look. I did make a split to hook a shop vac up which I got a 12 gallon Ridgid for 29.99 new from Homedepo during the black Friday sale. So if worse case I will pull with the vac and pull a tighter pull with the pump. Laughing Now its a matter of trying it once I am done. I will Show the results and am hopping it all works since I did not draw this thing I just pulled the design and measurement from my brain and mental thoughts and allot of reading. (I used to do Car Audio Installation and never draw it just make it call it a gift) So all in all if it works you will know if not you will know and if it does I will make a book on every step to help =)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: