www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Vac Former in build progress.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahillworks wrote:
Is HIS = High Impact Styrene Sheet if so Man I will order more soon. That stuff is cheap as hell lol. Great for practice.

Yes, HIS is the same thing as High Impact PolyStyrene. Professional Plastics had to call it something else. LOL.

Before you start tearing anything apart, or start work on a new platen, do that vac-test. That will tell you a lot.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LMAO too late. My table top is not the same as most so I saw the possiable flaw. I know the vacuum is fine and wanted to change it any ways after reading some other post of single hole tables. I will once the new table is done and has its metal top on it; i will try that vac test you advised with the plastic. Have some small size plastic laying around i can try with. I know there is a small small leak some where very very small. Hey question Since I am working with the 2 stage now and going to a single hole is it better to do 2 stage or 1 stage vac system? I have a 6cfm pump.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have 6cfm, you should just go with a 30 gallon reserve tank and skip the 2-stage all together. IMHO.

Another issue with vacuum is that if you are not using some sort of back flow valve on your shop-vac, your high vac will just suck air from the shop-vac hose, not from the platen.

View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I have a 7 gallon tank and the 6cfm running 2 stage. Was on 1 stage. Maybe I should have left it. What I will do is try your vacuum test you proposed and take it from there. I'll buy like 2 4x8 sheets next week for like 10 bucks and then do allot of trial runs to see what I need to do. How hot should my oven be to get even melting?
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK still have not finished the table but I figured while I figure that out I can be productive. Check out the new frame lift. Thanks to ANH Troopers measurements it was very easy to figure out. I think the first and second pull made me look at things differ. What ya think?

ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jegner wrote:

Having said that, it appears to me the plastic was not hot enough when you tried to form it. Also, take a sheet of plastic and test your platen for vacuum. Just lay the room temp. sheet on the platen and turn the vacuum on. Now, try to slide the sheet. Don't peel a corner up, keep it flat on the platen. If you find it hard to move, then you are getting good vacuum. If it slides around, then you need to revisit the vacuum system. Something is leaking air.

Jim

Ok after some hard work I have finished the table and performed your test. Results are I was lucky to move it if I could lol. So we have a tight vac just had a bad table last time and not hot enough plastic. So now tonight at 2:30am I will order two sheets of plastic to practice with and I will also sit back for like 30 minutes to see how hot the oven really gets.

The table is now a single hole. I will need to put a mesh in place at the bottom to be sure air will flow to the center. But the power of the single hole is awesome. Makes a pretty tight seal if you ask me. Also rounded the 4 corners as seen like every one else. Now we just need to test. =)

I will be back for results in a week.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: