www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Got vac pump...what's next? (progress update-09 Mar)
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 12:32 pm    Post subject: Got vac pump...what's next? (progress update-09 Mar) Reply with quote

Hi guys,

Finally I have just recieved my Edwards E2M-12 high vacuum pump and I'm eager to get this thing plumbed up. I realise I need a filter, gate valves, pipes and connectors, but is there anything else apart from the holding tank?

I am thinking of using copper pipe for the plumbing, but which would be better, 15mm or 22mm?

I also need a connector for the pump, but I am going to visit a store tomorrow to see what I need for this set up.

Thanks,

-Paul.

Last edited by ANH trooper on Sun Mar 09, 2008 4:28 pm; edited 4 times in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well next step is to figure out how much platen (forming table) size you need to vacuum. Once you have that size then this will help with size of piping. Keep in mind that the bigger the table the bigger the piping should be to allow more air flow to pass. Copper is fine not needed since it’s not water but as the guy at homedepo said its nice and wont rust later on. Lowes and home depo may have cheaper connections to convert from one size to another compared to the shops around. And if you want nice quality then go with cooper but keep in mind at the end its going to cost an arm and leg. A few people have suggested PVC piping which is low cost and easy to size down if needed. Bigger the tank the better I guess you can say. The more air mass that can pull on the platen the better. Most go with a 20 gallon to start with and others go with bigger. I went with a 7 gallon since I made a smaller table than most. If you have any questions ask away but also keep in mind allot of answers are in this forum already so if you don’t like to read like I don’t do it anyway you will be amazed at what you learn. Edit:: forgot the piping size. No lower than 1/4 or 3/8 and most use 1/2 and 3/4.
ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 5:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks bud Wink

I already have a vacuum former which has a 24" x 24" platen and using an industrial vacuum cleaner as suction, and bought this pump to upgrade Very Happy I am going to go with copper pipe. I priced up the fittings and pipe yesterday and believe it or not, copper is cheaper than plastic Shocked (well, for the fittings/couplers anyway) 15mm is just over 1/2" and 20mm is just over 3/4". The smaller diameter is cheaper, but not much and I don't want to scrimp on stuff.

I have a large empty butane gas bottle which I intend to use as the holding tank, and can get more easily if I need to add another. I just want to get all the parts together quickly now that I got the pump and get this thing working as soon as possible.

I will have another browse around the forum but there are so many threads Confused

Last edited by ANH trooper on Mon Apr 06, 2009 3:17 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Paul, why copper pipe? Seems like PVC would be easier to connect and assemble, and would be plenty strong to handle the vacuum.
The ball valves are copper that I'm working with, and some iron pipe connectors just because thats what I had, but most is PVC.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copper seems more robust than plastic to me. I doubt there is anything wrong with using plastic, but at ten quid a length of copper, it's not going to break the bank Smile
ThorsgaardFoundry
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ANH trooper wrote:
...I priced up the fittings and pipe yesterday and believe it or not, copper is cheaper than plastic Shocked ...

I can believe that due to supply. Our local Ace has copper and brass fittings that haven't seen the outside world since probably the Eighties, so the prices haven't been changed. PVC, however - is used often nowadays.

I can't say it'd be true in large towns, but usually smaller towns don't keep up with market costs, so ya can more or less get stuff cheaper.. Smile
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the price of copper so high right now, PVC is a lot cheaper. I already had my ball valves in brass, but use PVC for most of the plumbing.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ThorsgaardFoundry
Novice

PostPosted: Sun Dec 16, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm thinking pvc will be better for flow, is that right? I got a pvc 3 way valve that I intend on using .. well, it's open one way [to the right] then switch to open the other[left] way..Anyways, it's a full inch bore, and then my plumbing to the vac pump and tank is all 3/4". A 3/4" brass ball valve has a smaller inside diameter, so it'd cut some flow, right? Or how does that werk? A smaller hole would increase rate of flow? so I dunno..

But I have it and will use it since it's one more piece I don't have to buy. Laughing
ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I got the vacuum pump checked over and tested...everything is working well Very Happy I got an air filter too at the same time so it is now ready to plumb up to my empty gas bottles.

I decided to a buid a completely new machine for the new year, and have based the design much like Clonesix's, only using a wooden frame which was much cheaper (for me).

I always wanted an over under machine from the very start, but wasn't sure I would be able to make it work so for my first machine, I made a flip flop design. I just need to do a bit more work and get the frames to rise up now. I tested them manually and they go up and down with no resistance. so will work on the operating arms for those soon.

I have the 10' of coiled #22 NiChrome on it's way so things are looking up Very Happy

I'll keep you update as and when I have any more news.

-Paul.

TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice work!

Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------

Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Paul,

It looks like your workshop is in the belfry of a shire watchtower! Razz Wink
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking good! Can't wait to see some 'in progress' shots of the machine working!

Jim
ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks fellas Smile

I've made some progress and have the lifting mechanism fitted. Got it working after much stress getting the pivot points right, and just have some very fine tuning to do before I am happy with it.

I have a question maybe someone can help me with?

The empty gas bottles I am using for my holding tanks, I need to calculate the volume. It measures 40" in diameter and 22" high. Could someone do the math for me and let me know the volume in gallons please?

Pics to follow shortly Wink
cod
Master

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh, I calculate 108 U.S. gallons- but that can't be right, can it ?

could you pour 108 gals of milk in your tank? Wink

her's my math:

cylinder volume = r*r*h*Pi

19.75 is roughly inner radius, assuming .25" tank walls

= 26,945.5175 cubic inches

divide by 1728 for cubic feet= 15.593470775463

convert to US gals = 116.64

bahhh. I get different results every time!

good luck.
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well all I can say is it looks nice. Also I wish I had the cash and time to do my frame and slide in metal I always liked that idea and seems more sterdy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: