www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Starting my own Vac-table

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
knightshade
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2005 6:52 pm    Post subject: Starting my own Vac-table Reply with quote

We have a few Star Wars fans in my area that are interested in costuming, can't afford kit prices, and have some free time. Building a vactable seemed to be a good hobbie to get the group into. I had been looking at the studiocreations tutorial - but yours brought stuff to a whole new level. I wanted to thank you for everything that you have documented here.

For the most part - things look pretty straight forward - but a few questions have surfaced.

1.) Holding Frame - I don't have access to welding equipment. Is there anything that I should look out for if I make the frames out of 1x1's?

2.) Cutting the Hardibacker 500 - is there anything special to this? Or just mark a line and use a circular saw? (special blade?) (Yes - I'm more of a tech/electronic's guy than a home improvement type of guy - it seems like this should be obvious - I just don't want to screw up a sheet of the stuff or a saw.)

3.) Oven - I'm going to run a brand new circuit out to my garage for this. Is a 20A circuit enough - or should I really be looking 25/30A? (Short version - is that it is an older house - too much other stuff would be on the circuit and I don't really trust the existing wiring with this much of a load.)

4.) Oven - Did you ever consider doing anything with a dimmer switch to help control the temperature - or is on/off all that is really needed?

5.) Plastics - I know that HIS is cheaper and easier to work with. Is there any reason that your aware of that ABS wouldn't work with this setup? Ever test any?

6.) Plastics - Can you give a rough idea how expensive shipping of the plastic is? I was imagining that the 4x8 sheets are large to ship - and may have surcharges aside from weight.

Thank you in advance for any advice that you are able to offer. Your site must be pretty complete if I could only come up with 6 questions Smile

-Darren
SL-8399
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 6:29 am    Post subject: Re: Starting my own Vac-table Reply with quote

Thanks for the compliments regarding my stuff. Great questions! I'll try to answer them as best I can.

1. The holding frame can be simple like wooden 1x1's although I'd consider making them from a hardwood like oak. Pine might not hold up under extended use. Also, Aluminum tubing bolted together would work fine too.

2. You can score and break the Hardibacker 500 just like drywall. The smaller parts have to be cut, but the best tool to use is a comon hand saw.

3. Run a 30amp circuit. That way, you will have plenty to amps to run the oven AND the vacuum. The oven is properly wired will draw 20.8amps.

4. I could not locate a 20 amp dimmer switch, but that wold work. The switch is easy though.

5. I've pulled lots of HIPs and its a great material. I've pulled acrylic and its works fine. I have ABS to test with but assume it will work ok. I'll post a report when the test are done.

6. I use www.professionaplastics.com and call them. Shipping for a cut down sheet of plastic [they can trimm the sheets to 24x24 inch squares] is like $15 for 4 sheets of .080 and 2 sheets of .060. Thats not too bad.

Jim
knightshade wrote:
We have a few Star Wars fans in my area that are interested in costuming, can't afford kit prices, and have some free time. Building a vactable seemed to be a good hobbie to get the group into. I had been looking at the studiocreations tutorial - but yours brought stuff to a whole new level. I wanted to thank you for everything that you have documented here.

For the most part - things look pretty straight forward - but a few questions have surfaced.

1.) Holding Frame - I don't have access to welding equipment. Is there anything that I should look out for if I make the frames out of 1x1's?

2.) Cutting the Hardibacker 500 - is there anything special to this? Or just mark a line and use a circular saw? (special blade?) (Yes - I'm more of a tech/electronic's guy than a home improvement type of guy - it seems like this should be obvious - I just don't want to screw up a sheet of the stuff or a saw.)

3.) Oven - I'm going to run a brand new circuit out to my garage for this. Is a 20A circuit enough - or should I really be looking 25/30A? (Short version - is that it is an older house - too much other stuff would be on the circuit and I don't really trust the existing wiring with this much of a load.)

4.) Oven - Did you ever consider doing anything with a dimmer switch to help control the temperature - or is on/off all that is really needed?

5.) Plastics - I know that HIS is cheaper and easier to work with. Is there any reason that your aware of that ABS wouldn't work with this setup? Ever test any?

6.) Plastics - Can you give a rough idea how expensive shipping of the plastic is? I was imagining that the 4x8 sheets are large to ship - and may have surcharges aside from weight.

Thank you in advance for any advice that you are able to offer. Your site must be pretty complete if I could only come up with 6 questions Smile

-Darren
SL-8399
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
knightshade
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 9:18 am    Post subject: Re: Starting my own Vac-table Reply with quote

Thank you for the quick responses.

I've ordered all of the parts for the oven already - and am hoping to get everythign assembled in the next week or two.

I'm still attempting to find a local source for HIP and/or ABS - but haven't yet confirmed one. I've been toying with placing an order for plastic sooner than later so that I have some test material right away Smile

-Darren
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 20, 2005 10:15 am    Post subject: Plastic Supplier Reply with quote

I use www.professionalplastics.com but I usually call them. Here is their info:

Professional Plastics:
713-774-1433
713-774-0044
ask for David

8585 Commerce Park Drive
Suite 580-B
Houston, TX 77036

Good guy to deal with. Tell him Jim Egner from Nacogodches, TX sent ya!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
knightshade
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Life had put my projects on hold for a little bit.

I've been working on molds in my spare time - and finally ordered plastic last week.
I talked to David - and as soon as I said Stormtrooper he mentioned your name Smile

The plastic arrived today - so hopefully I'll get a chance to make some test pulls over the weekend - and get to see what mistakes I made in the costruction of my table Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: