www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Greetings, fellow Programs!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
acrylikhan

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Greetings, fellow Programs! Reply with quote

Hello everyone! Name's Acrylikhan (but I'm just plain Frank).

Who is this guy anyway? I work for a model and prototype shop in the wastelands of Illinois for almost ten years. I've only worked with silicone molds and urethanes up to this point. And it's high time that I learned some additional skills to add to my arsenal of casting weaponry.

It wasn't until three years ago that I realized I had the power to make my own armor. So I started to scratch build my own biker scout armor. So far I've only vac'd a few shoulder bells, and a couple of thigh boxes for the suit, but I'm starting to learn. Right now, I've only got a small 12" x 18" table with a shop vac, and a scientific oven to heat the plastic. (I'm told, its a very primitive set up.)

A thigh box buck for a Biker Scout belt - Made from RenWood and MDF

And the pull -

A shoulder bell buck that I machined - Made from RenWood

And the pulls -

Here's the completed scout arm armor -

This is just the start! I've started to make a buck for the knee armor out of MDF. Still have the chest armor to start, but getting my feet wet with these simpler pieces should help when tackling the larger ones. I'm having fun with this.

After I'm finished with the Biker Scout armor, I am going to tackle creating the ATAC Armor Suit from the Japanime, ROBOTECH.

I am looking forward to getting to know everyone, and learn new tricks in vacuforming. Not to mention, seeing everyone's projects!
AlterEgos
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the best vacforming board on the net, Frank! Very Happy Everyone here is very helpful, so just chime in if you have a question (or answer for that matter).

I noticed you've got a lock-down problem with your thigh box there. I'm not all that familiar with Biker Scout armor and don't know which features of the pattern need to be kept, but for a better release of the pull, fill in the two "U" shaped indents on the sides or cut your pattern down the center so you can remove one half at a time. Wink
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board! Nice work, thanks for sharing the pics. Question, 'renwood' what is that?

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Katachi

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta love that MDF. What tools do you use to work with it?
acrylikhan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jegner wrote:
Welcome to the board! Nice work, thanks for sharing the pics. Question, 'renwood' what is that?

Jim

Thanks everyone for the very warm welcome!

RenWood, or better known as RenShape is resin dust held together with resin. It's, like MDF only not as porous, and essentially a plastic. It's very durable, and is used in many CNC (Computer Numeric Controlled) Machining for model making, or patterns. It's great stuff, but extremely expensive! I try to collect as many scrap pieces as I can and use them for sculpting, or as I did here, making a couple of vacuform bucks. Took about twenty pieces to make the shoulder armor buck!
acrylikhan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Katachi wrote:
Gotta love that MDF. What tools do you use to work with it?

Table Saw, Random Orbit sander, Belt Sander, Band Saw, Dremel, and good ol' Files! Laughing I'm think of picking up powered planer... I saw the videos how quickly it shapped the thigh armor buck... freaking' sweet!
acrylikhan

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AlterEgos wrote:
Welcome to the best vacforming board on the net, Frank! Very Happy Everyone here is very helpful, so just chime in if you have a question (or answer for that matter).

I noticed you've got a lock-down problem with your thigh box there. I'm not all that familiar with Biker Scout armor and don't know which features of the pattern need to be kept, but for a better release of the pull, fill in the two "U" shaped indents on the sides or cut your pattern down the center so you can remove one half at a time. Wink

Yeah... I found that out the HARD way! Laughing I've since filled the U shapes with bondo. They're decorative slots for where the webbing fits in. Any more pulls from that buck, I'll carefully hand cut the indents with a dremel. Not sure what I'm going to do yet.

Thanks for the warm welcome! Very Happy
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

COOL! another guy making trooper armor. i'm making a tk.

welcome! nice work, btw, nice, smooth pull! Wink

Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: