www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Helmet Sculpt in polyurethane foam **PICS**
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
clonesix
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Helmet Sculpt in polyurethane foam **PICS** Reply with quote

If you were to ask any sculpter what his favorite medium was, he would say that 'it depends.' It depends on the job and final product. For helmets, and armatures in general, I like ridged urethane foam. It is insulation material, and can be cut with any wood tools.

The main reason that I like to use it is that it is fast; the main reason that don't like it is that is is messy. It creates a LOT of dust, very statically charged dust that will kling to you like glue.

The reason I paint the seam black between two halves, is to have a center-line from which to measure . No matter how much you carve through the foam, the center-line is always there.

This is the model that I have been working on. I spent more time getting the block square, than I spent getting the helmet curved.

Thanks for looking
chefhawk
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is amazing work..
How long has it taken you so far?

What tools are you using to carve with?

Im very impressed.

cheers
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's incredible work! Your curves are very smooth and even. My friend Mike also works with hard foam using regular kitchen knives and sandpaper, and it makes a huge mess. But the finished product is certainly worth it!

I'm looking forward to following your progress on the clone pilot!

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
thebluecanary
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow. I really want to try that. but the wife might not like the mess. =P
clonesix
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 5:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Yes, this stuff carves and sands very easily. I usually work with a file, or dove-tail saw to shape this stuff, but sand paper works very well too.

Here is a little shot of its progress:

Katachi

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wow man, great work!

Where do you buy polyurethane foam blocks that large? Art supply store? Online? I loves me some polystyrene sheet carving, but that stuff looks like it'd be a lot better to work with for armor and helmet sculpting.
thebluecanary
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 7:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

what do you do if you happen to make an error? Start over? Or can you add some kind of filler?
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this 'balsa foam' or another product? I know that Smooth makes Foam-IT 8, a rigid urethane foam that is suppose to be machinable. You cast it in your own molds!

Also, what pound foam are you using?

What about dust, do you wear a respirator?

Wonder full work! I can't wait to see the final model!

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

where do you get this stuf?

lowe's? home deopt? hobby store? arts/crafts store?

i'm impressed with your work. i take it you can vacuform directly on top of the final model?

wow!

-------------------------------------------------------

clonesix
Novice

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is 4# foam insulation foam. Yes, it can be vacu-formed over, but small detail and corners get squished. If you want to vacuform over it, I would suggest 6# or higher. That is how I do most of my vacuform molds: I vac over the foam and fill the vacuformed piece with stone. Then I go about shaping the stone plug until I get it the way I want it, then it's a tool.

I purchase this locally from an insulation company. They make it in 3'x4'x4' blocks and cut it on a huge bandsaw. I can buy it any size, but I get a better deal purchasing leftover scraps.

You can also purchase this from taxidermy suppliers. I have a good web-source, but its on my work computer. I will have to get it later.

Home Depot and other home stores will sell sheets of similar stuff, usually with a foil backing. Be aware that not all foam is alike. They sell many types of sheet material that ranges from EPS (expanded polystyrene) to polyethelyne, and they behave differently.

This is an armature, and not the sculpt, itself. It acts as the understructure, and a more solid surface is added after the shaping. If I have done it right the first time, I just add a surface coat of lacquer, and if not, I can add clay to fill in any voids.

Here is the primered dome.

Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simply REMARKABLE!!

I'm a HUGE fan of C6 armor(s), and hope to accuire an AUTHENTIC C6-EPII bucket for my growing collection, now this EPII Clone-Pilot is on the list as well... if you ever make them available that is! Wink
clonesix
Novice

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a web source for the foam. I have not purchased from this suppier and they don't list the density, but I guess by the description that it is 6# density.

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/subcategory/129/

It's not cheap, but it's worth the price.
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

clonesix wrote:
Here is a web source for the foam. I have not purchased from this suppier and they don't list the density, but I guess by the description that it is 6# density.

http://www.vandykestaxidermy.com/subcategory/129/

It's not cheap, but it's worth the price.

Thanks for the link. Question now....if you would go and purchase it online from that vendor you've posted....which one will you go with? I see a blue "dustless" one (really interesting, BTW), but it costs waaay more expensive, almost 3 times the cost of the first one on the list. Confused

Also, very nice going with your helmet....BEAUTIFUL...I LOVE IT! Very Happy

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
clonesix
Novice

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DarthVader1 wrote:
[ Question now....if you would go and purchase it online from that vendor you've posted....which one will you go with? I see a blue "dustless" one (really interesting, BTW), but it costs waaay more expensive, almost 3 times the cost of the first one on the list. Confused

Also, very nice going with your helmet....BEAUTIFUL...I LOVE IT! Very Happy

I would choose the 6x12x36 for $40. I would guess by the size and weight that it is an 8 lb density foam. Yo can vacuum form right over it.

If I do the math on the blue foam, it comes out to 2lb/cu ft. That sounds pretty light and flimsy (and expensive)
fz1

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used this foam for some fiberglass molds before. Real nice to work with. Stanley surfoam files work real good also for shaping.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: