www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
new inventer
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
inventer
Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: new inventer Reply with quote

Hello guys, I'm new here, I've been wanting to make a vac u form machine for awhile, I finally did it, my names Tony, I'm a painting contractor thats getting to old to paint anymore,( I think so ) so I'm going to try making plastic parts to sell for extra money. If I can figure out how to post pics of my machine I'll show it here, but until than, Hi everyone, been reading all the neat posts and viewing the pictures, this is a kool site, Tony
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi tony, welcome! Very Happy

if you get a photobucket account, or anyother account, you can post pics of your machine that way.

Smile

-------------------------------------------------------

inventer
Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:12 am    Post subject: thank you Reply with quote

I have several photobucket accounts for our web page. I guess all I have to do is post the link from there to here, right ? Heres our regular hobby, we customize old vans and show them for trophys all over the United states, enjoy our web page until I get pics of my vac u form up-loaded.
http://vanner40.iwarp.com/
inventer
Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: my vac u former Reply with quote

Hope the pictures come up ok, I've made this from things laying around my garage, plywood, planks, dry wall metal framing, steel tubeing, had to buy oven coils and thermastat, and shop vac. The orange wire in my temp. 220 electric to dryer recip. until I put a 220 out in the garage. The last picture is a hoover up-right vacuum cleaner, shop vac was'nt strong enough so I took apart a vacuum cleaner, installed upside down to vac, man does that work really great, 10 times better than the shop vac, when I find another vacuum cleaner, I'm taking the shop vac out and installing another vacuum cleaner motor. Been pulling samples for a couple of days now searching for the right kind and right thickness of plastic for my projects. I'll post more as I go along, thank you for taking interest, tony
inventer
Novice

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 1:50 am    Post subject: sorry forgot link Reply with quote

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v81/vanner40/vac%20u%20form/
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Inventer!

Nice work building your over under table. I really like your modification to remove the vacuum motor and impeller and mount it directly to the platen. Very nice!

Is the mold on your table for a custom interior panel?

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board!

Interesting how you wired your vacuum. Any images of your pulls? I know Doug Walsh talks about making a box and putting the vacuum motors in it, and that seems like a good fit for this type of application. How does it perform?

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: my vac u former Reply with quote

inventer wrote:
Hope the pictures come up ok, I've made this from things laying around my garage, plywood, planks, dry wall metal framing, steel tubeing, had to buy oven coils and thermastat, and shop vac. The orange wire in my temp. 220 electric to dryer recip. until I put a 220 out in the garage. The last picture is a hoover up-right vacuum cleaner, shop vac was'nt strong enough so I took apart a vacuum cleaner, installed upside down to vac, man does that work really great, 10 times better than the shop vac, when I find another vacuum cleaner, I'm taking the shop vac out and installing another vacuum cleaner motor. Been pulling samples for a couple of days now searching for the right kind and right thickness of plastic for my projects. I'll post more as I go along, thank you for taking interest, tony

OHH yah, that's some good stuff!! Shocked

very nice machine. Very Happy

inventer
Novice

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: pulling more this weekend Reply with quote

Hi guys, thank you for the welcome. When I started building this I did it before I had any plastic, I had an idea of what I wanted to do and had no plastic to work with. I've since recieved several samples of plastics from different companys from all over the world. I've done about a dozen pulls and figured out my frame is to small, not enought plastic on the sides, did not pull down enough, so I just made another frame yesterday about 3 more inch's bigger. I'll be pulling a plastic of .005 I recieved a roll the other day, 48"x25' for more practis pulls. I'm currently looking for another vacuum cleaner to install the motor and do away with the shop vac, the vacuum motor pulls 10 times better than the shop vac. I seen during sample pulls I'm getting to much heat in the center of the plastic, so I'm going to try mounting a cover over the middle of the heat elements to dissperce more heat outwards so the edges of the plastic gets hotter, so the vac can pull plastic over the sides of the pattern. I've made some changes to my machine yesterday and want to take new pic's today, will re-post them this weekend and when I get all the bugs worked out and start pulling on a regular basis, I'll have my sweetie film me and post it on youtube for you guys. This is so exciting, it's hard to go to work when I have this on my mind all the time, I wake up thinking about how to pull plastic, making changes, where to buy more plastic, show pictures off at work to everyone, talk about this non stop, it's so exciting. Maybe someone can help with this one, the roll I bought and have now is PETGCLGG, I know what the PETG means and the CL means, but what does the GG mean ??? Thanks again for the warm welcome, be posting again, tony
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, vacuforming can do that to a guy! Very Happy

let's see... gg means good game! Rolling Eyes

just kidding, i don't know.... Embarassed

inventer
Novice

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 3:12 am    Post subject: blows my mind Reply with quote

I've been writing to companys about buying plastics, most don't reply, some do, we don't have, we don't stock or we don't know where to get. Millions of companys out there and I can't get them to work with me. Corporations stink when working with a person. One company I contacted in NY sent my e-mail to NJ, than on to Chicago. The guy had no idea what I wanted, explained to him what I wanted, he said he could get me my plastic. He placed an order in Colorado, they placed that order to NC which sent it to Va, than on to me, took 8 days to get, unbeliveable, now he won't repl;y back to me for buying plastic. Another company I wrote to sent me a few samples, great, I'd like to order more of this plastic, guess what, the ladys on vacation from 5-15 to 5-24. Now I have had some good luck with companys from the UK, but shipping is to costly, very nice people over there to work with, why does the companys in the US have to be so diffecult Mad If any one here can help me that'd be great, looking to buy .010 PETG on a roll, 48" x 25'-50'-100' rolls. I know from replys it comes this way, just can't get companys to work with me on ordering it. Sorry for venting, I just want to get melting, thanks guys, Tony
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

professional plastics dot com? Confused

they might be able to ship out a roll of that stuff, i dunno... Shocked

inventer
Novice

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: thank you Reply with quote

I'll give them a call, see if I have better luck with them.
inventer
Novice

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:36 pm    Post subject: pull no. 12 Reply with quote

Hi gang, finally got some plastic samples. I have some major guestions if anyone can help. Heres some photos from todays pulls, I'm getting big wrinkles on the flat part of my pull and got them on all pulls. I did'nt have this heat shield for the other pulls and got wrinkles, so, I put a shield over the middle of the coils because it gets the hottest there, as you can see, I still got the wrinkles. Heres a picture of my mold, it's 19" long, 13" wide and tapered from 1 1/2" to a half inch. As you can see from the other pictures I'm getting pinched out corners on the deep end of the pull. My question is what am I doing wrong ? I watched that guy doing his pull on youtube with his pull out oven, lifted his plastic twice than did his pull, I tryed that and still got these wrinkles I'm uesing .010 PETG. Im really amazed at how much sag there is when heating, so now I have to figure out how to set the plastic on the mold to pull without getting these wrinkles. I have read you guys use .020 and thicker so I hope someone can throw out some ideas. Hope this link works, I'm not much for computers. Tony http://www.villagephotos.com/members/album.asp?folder_id=2000127
inventer
Novice

PostPosted: Thu Jun 05, 2008 1:57 am    Post subject: perfect pull Reply with quote

We been working on sample pulls, used Cods idea, 200 degrees, 25 seconds, perfect pull, whooooo, hoooooo. Now to make some changes to vac-table to start production. Thanks guys for your help, Tony
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: