www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
New member checking in

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fz1

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: New member checking in Reply with quote

Hello all,

I have read this board for a long time. Along with some others linked from here. For years I planned on building a machine but never did. This site motivated me to get started and build one. Thanks for all of the helpful info here.
My occupation for over 30 years is a custom machine builder. I have built machines for so many different company's I cant remember them all. Most were high speed assembly machines. So making a machine for me was actually easy and I might have used things I had laying around to help with its construction but also used simple materials (MDF) box base for it. There is still work to be done but I have made some pulls with it and it works good. The machine is a over under style with adjustable clamping frame so different sizes can be used. I have no pics of it right now. I still have to make a different heat box but for testing I am using quartz garage heaters. This is temporary until more work gets done. I made it a 2 stage machine using the check valve setup. My first pulls were 12 x 24 but later on I will move up to 24 x 24. It has capabilities of going up to 36 x 48.
I will wire up the machine to turn on the heaters when the frame is raised to the heat position. A master on-off power kill switch will kill all power. Relays will be used for power delivery to the heaters and blower vacuum pumps. Until I find a vacuum directional control valve to work electrically I have it set up with ball valves.

Sorry for my long first post.
Again thanks for all of the helpful info here.
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi FZ1,

Welcome to the board!

Wow, a real industrial machinist, nice!

I am considering building a large over under vacuum table, but I was wondering how you made the frames adjustable. Could you post a pic or two?

Thanks!

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board!

Be sure to keep us updated on your projects. Any pics of your work?

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

welcome, very nice stuff indeed! we MUST see some pictures! Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------

fz1

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry no pics yet.

The adjustable frame uses bosch aluminum framing.
The large rectangular part of it stays the same. Then it has seperators that can be moved or added to the proper size for the material in use.
I am still planning on my larger platen now as I will be needing it soon.
There has been some problems getting a seal with my first one so this one I am planning something different. I want a multi hole platten not a center opening one. I plan to try putting a silicone foam strip around the edges to help get a reliable seal.
I have it drawn up with cad but its all a hand assembly design. My first one was mdf with alum top but this one will be all alum. I plan on making rc car bodies and do not want too many bad pulls. I have all the vacuum I need but not getting a fast seal is not good. I may have put more money into some of my parts than other have but I plan on this lasting for a long time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: