www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Anyone have AutoCAD experience?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jeprachaun

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 2:47 pm    Post subject: Anyone have AutoCAD experience? Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I was curious to know if anyone has AutoCAD or Solidworks experience. I am currently building a CNC machine and plan on cutting molds for stormtrooper armor with it. I'm looking for some help with the 3D models, possibly from someone on the site. Would anyone be interested in helping? Thank you.

O'Malley
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jeprachaun

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No interest?

O'Malley
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
LaughingCheese
Expert

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 11:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could try downloading some free s. Are you just looking for something to test the CNC?

Try something like Star Trek:Blender, and export to STL (but I assume you already knew that Razz).
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 22, 2008 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure there's been much work done on this. I know some folks have made CAD drawings of the trooper armor. But I don't know of anyone converting the CAD documents to CNC G-code. Sounds like rapid prototyping to make a CNC-mill out the molds is what you are talking about, and I can't think of anyone that has done that. Beyond the garage capabilities for most.

Master Replicas 3D scanned the trooper helmet, but has since lost their Star Wars license. I double they will share their files. You might find some CAD files like the ones Israel Franco did, but these are the only ones I know that are available.

Jim
thebluecanary
Expert

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check out sketchup.

http://sketchup.google.com/3dwarehouse/

A lot of people are doing a lot of work with it. If you can sort though the junk, you can find some good stuff.

Also the 405th Halo armor group

http://405th.com/forums/index.php?s=2c35fdd7b3ffa6e4f9faa76bd6a4d764&

They do a lot of armor work, I bet someone over there has the armor done in 3D.
Culvan
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Jul 23, 2008 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been playing around with 3dmax a little bit. I get to use it for a highschool robotics team that I mentor. It's not easy stuff to master. I've been tempted to build a CNC and make armor that way.

Check out scifi3d's models. If you don't know how to use CAD before hand this is a huge leap forward. 3 stormtroopers, a couple snowtroopers and a sandtrooper to choose from.

http://www.scifi3d.com/list.asp?intGenreID=10&intCatID=13

I tried putting those in sketch up, but it seems a little glitchy with some of the formats. It worked a whole lot better to use 3dMAX.

At the 405th they generally take models out of video games (i.e. Halo). They frequently use a program called Pepakura to make a foldable 3d paper version of it (neat stuff). Anyhow I remember reading a thread about how they were pulling the models out of the games. I'm sure a search could find it, but I think the Scifi3d models are better than any video game you will find. There are some very skilled CAD artists there too, but they usually only work on Halo related models.

Andy
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Off Topic All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: