www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
"SECRET-SECRET" Progress Thread
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jun 08, 2008 7:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What type of silicone did you use? Looking great!

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jegner wrote:
What type of silicone did you use? Looking great!

Jim

I have to correct myself...it's NOT SILICONE, but Latex rubber mold conpound. Sorry for the confusion. Well, if you look at my first attempt of the face mold...you'll see that it's not exactly great, unless you wait a whole 24 hr. period cure time instead of every 4-5 hours, as the instructions say (so as I did before), and leaving the brushed piece in the sun a couple of times in the HIGH HEAT as this past weekend. It's good, if you have really GOOD PATIENCE.

I got it from this place:

http://www.artmolds.com/product323.cfm

It's a brushable latex rubber (according to them, and it really stinks too, like either sulfur or ammonia). Confused Like I mentioned before, I am going the CHEAPEST way possible, it that means sacrificing process time. I had to go at least a week of procees per part, once the part is sculpted.

IMHO, I would've prefer one of the quickest ways around and go the SMOOTH-ON way. I know they're expensive, plus you have to mix parts A and B, while the one I have it's just straight from the container...plus you have to brush a HEAVY coat about maybe 6-8 times (as this LAST time took me so far) to have a GOOD and THICK mold. I hope by next week give some update on my final part, which will be the WHOLE BACK/NECK piece.

What I found AWESOME, is the HYDROSTONE...it's so different than Plaster of Paris, that even the 90 Degrees corners are harder to crack, that's why I sand a little bit those corners to prevent cracking while vacuuforming....but that material is AMAZING!!! Shocked

Last edited by DarthVader1 on Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vader,

I'm not sure if you mentioned it already, but can you please tell me what clay you used to sculpt with? I have experience sculpting in wax but almost none with clay.

Thanks!
CF
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't believe I've posted that before, but it's an OIL BASED clay from DICK BLICK Art Materials online:

http://www.dickblick.com/zz332/32/

In that picture is about 1 and a half boxes from about 5-6 boxes that are included in one pack. Every string is about 5 or 6 inches long and there are about 4-5 in each box.

For my project, I've purchased 3 packs (5 pounds each), and I still have about two boxes unopened. Very easy to work with (when it's hot outside) and never dries. Don't bother on using it in cold weather, since it will be REALLY HARD to work with.

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used a product called Klean Klay, a wax based clay, that is fantastic for custom mold pattern making. You can freeze it, and it's hard as a rock, or, you can heat it with a hair dryer for a real easy finish, or, you can warm it in a double boiler, and pour it! It come in different hardnesses, but really, for what we use it for, the medium is all you need.

Looks like this gray stuff is similar.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Sat Jun 14, 2008 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WEEKLY UPDATE:

Well, so far I wanted to give you a FULL UPDATE of the third, and final part of the helmet/mask, since the other (very last, namely the front - lower neck) part will be just improvised, custom made to size. It will be a waste of plastic, time, resources and electricity doing it in a vacuum forming way.

I wanted to go with measurements (which I did and kept), to start doing a sculpt of that back piece, but I’ve just discovered that this piece is the MOST DIFFICULT to accomplish, more than the face, since it has to connect somehow with the other two parts previously done….and based on the last cast….the calculations were a little WRONG……somehow. Not bad news, since I was going BY-SCALE from the original on the videos, but I managed to find a solution, since there’s no actual or really defined pics of the back of the original ones, so I am coming with an really original idea, just to unite all parts together, and not compromise any gaps in between.

Here are the pics of the progress so far, be advised that I’ve tried to do so many calculations, and it’s still getting difficult, since this has to connect with ALL the other parts at the same time.

Last minute decision of what to use for the round neck backing. The plastic gallon is ROUND, not squared like a gallon of milk, just to point that out:

I’ve chose to go with the "flower foam" instead, but they leave a whole mess around....specially sticking to the clay…

...so, I've decided to cover the "messy part" with a plastic bag, and then do the whole clay shell on top of it with clay, which I had to add clay underneath the plastic gallon regardless (at least for support, since there will be a lot of pressure from the sculpting, but not as much as I thought:

Here's the result of the BASIC FRAME (as of today). I did this to save on clay….

More progress coming soon…probably by next week.

DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jun 22, 2008 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

UPDATE:

PART # 3
(and final)………?????

Well, after two weeks of no updates or work with this project (being really busy, and was under a mild case of depression for things that have been going on in my personal life, and things that HAVEN’T happened as well, to include a “Shattered Dream” that just got my hands on, and the next week: POOF!, no more, but that’s a different story.

I’ve took my time this weekend, and this is the part that covers the very back of the head and half of the neck. Believe me or not, this is the piece that got me puzzled, and probably the most difficult to sculpt, since even the design is simple, but it actually have to “interact” with the other two pieces somehow, which means that ALL three parts (not counting one that has to be cut to shape and bend, that goes in the front of the neck) have to touch each other at the EARS area, and THAT is not an easy task, and was a design flaw of not thinking about that before.

Here’s what I got so far (looks like a prototype for "Vader's REVEAL Helmet" back piece, somehow),

Some of the plastic (when vacuuformed) at the top of the head, will be cut by eyesight, until I get parts one and two together (the most important ones). The top border design, wasn’t exactly what I wanted, but that could be corrected once I make the plaster casting, which needs just a hard time sanding off that part. Shocked

Another flaw that just slipped away from my mind and NEVER thought about it, is the back piece for the SIDE DETAILS from the BOTTOM of the mask, just below the ears. Based on the design of the mask, I believe that THOSE specific pieces were casted separately, since there is NO WAY to make them as part of either face piece or top-back piece. This last part pictured above, are essential for the WHOLE costume; but for collectors, they only want part 1 and 2 together, that’s about it. Confused

More updates next week when I make the casting of the lower-side details backing.

DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, as my last post said: PART #3 and FINAL (???).....and I was right, it's not a FINAL one, since I've discovered in the process that something was missing, and I didn't realize it until I thought the assembly process....THERE WERE NO BACKING for the lower details below the "ears" for the front mask part.

I've just done with the casting process (for the MAIN MASK PARTS), but I have to design the ears so they could be useful, or working, not just pieces of resin bolted in place, but something that I could hear through them....but that is coming soon. These are the pics of my last castings, with the one for the backing of the lower details I had to come up with a WOOD MOLD, since I didn't want to go through the process of applying the latex coating/mold 6-8 times or the plaster bandage process....TEDIOUS!!! Mad

Here are the pieces for VACUUFORMING, almost ready since I have to do some cleanup AND sanding to all of them, to include the front mask part.

The back of the head part, which I have to add a piece of 1" MDF with the shape of the part at the bottom before vac'form the part, since the sculpt didn't allow me to add space for the cutting line,

The backing detail cover mold for both sides,

And the pic of ALL pieces together.

Yesterday I've started with the gloves casting process, making a casting of my own hands (I still have to cast my left hand, though. I will post pics as soon as I cast my left hand to show up the process of sculpting the gloves. I will find out the "ears" making process, as soon as I find something I need.

TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nice progress, this is going along smoothly. Very Happy

jeez! hands, too? more to this than i thought... Shocked

-------------------------------------------------------

DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TK 109 wrote:
nice progress, this is going along smoothly. Very Happy

jeez! hands, too? more to this than i thought... Shocked

Thanks, and YES....there is MASK/HELMET, gloves, boots, and of course, the SUIT. Thsi is just the beginning of the process, and I still have less than TWO MONTHS to complete. Shocked

Just take a look at their MUSIC VIDEO back then:

jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat Jul 05, 2008 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great! Thanks for keeping us updated on your progress.

Jim
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys, really appreciated. Very Happy

Well, another weekend, another update...

GLOVES

This time I am working on the gloves, which will be casted in latex. I’ve started with making a cast of my own hand to use as model to sculpt the mold of the glove. Looks like "THING" from "The Addams Family"

This is the look I want to have, based on the only three screen captions that I could actually see the details of the gloves.

And I’ve done sculpting just the top half of the whole mold, to then make the sculpt for the second half,

All I have left to do is to cover some areas, and a little cleanup. More updates coming soon as I keep working with it.

TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup, good make sure those are guantlet length, because some folks had thier arms exposed in the video. Shocked

looking SWEET. Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------

DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TK 109 wrote:
yup, good make sure those are guantlet length, because some folks had thier arms exposed in the video. Shocked

looking SWEET. Very Happy

Thanks, and indeed, it's longer in the gauntlet due to THAT same matter. It's the only thing different from the originals. Since there are no GOOD screen caps of the originals, I have to come up with the closest possible, so as the attachment method for the mask.

jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looking great!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: