www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Fully operational 2'x4' production machine built in 7 days
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 10:47 pm    Post subject: Fully operational 2'x4' production machine built in 7 days Reply with quote

Just a short post and one photo for now. I promised myself a shower and a trip on my scooter to see 'Iron Man' when this job was done. I haven't tested the machine yet because I'd like to celebrate by running the first test with production forms (letters that will actually go up on a building storefront) and they aren't ready yet... but I'm almost positive it will work as is. It's really pumping out some heat. I found two separate 20 amp breakers in the electrical power panel and so replaced the existing 15 amp wall outlets with 20 amp outlets. Then I made custom electrical cords out of heavy duty Romex. Each of the two 2ft x 2ft ovens are running on their own 20 amp breaker. And each 5.5 hp shop vac is running on it's own 15 amp breaker. Everything worked together, all at once, the first try. Thank you very much to this website owner and to the guys who offered me advice. I could not have done this without your help. This is a production machine that was made in 7 days that should now earn me thousands of dollars, potentially save my boss's business (and my job). I mention this in thanks and also as a friendly reminder that vacuforming can be used for fun, but it can also be used for real world applications that might earn you money. I will not say the last week has been easy though. It was a lot of work. Maybe not for someone else, but it sure was for me. I am extremely tired and worked practically night and day (only sleeping a few hours here and there) to get this built in seven days. But... now the fun part begins!! Thanks again guys, really. More photos coming soon.

Sincerely,
CF

crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is some damn fine work CrazyFool!

I like the idea of splitting the ovens across two separate circuits. It's simple, and it works very nicely!

It looks like your plastic clamping frames are riding on the 4 rods. Are you using pillow block bearings?

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked

i like that, very nice work! Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------

PARATECH1
Expert

PostPosted: Mon May 19, 2008 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It really does look good dude.

I bet you feel like a proud daddy who really wants to show their kid off. I know I would be if I were you.
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

crashmann
Thanks man! The frames slide on four 1/2" electrical conduit pipes. The tops of the pipes are screwed to the inside walls of the oven with L brackets, and the bottoms of the pipes simply sit in the table top (where I drilled 1/2" wide and about 1/2" deep holes). The frames are guided up and down the pipes by 1/2" conduit straps. (Nothing fancy.) At first the frames didn't want to slide up the pipes very well, but I smeared the pipes with some high temperature auto grease and those suckers will slide all the way to China.

TK 109
Hey thanks. If you say so! My dad was a carpenter and I'm afraid to show the thing to him. I slapped it together so fast it kind of felt like the Winchester Mystery House, with screws that don't really screw into anything and 2x4's that lead to nowhere. lol (BTW... I like screws way better than nails because it's so much easier to make changes later.)

PARATECH1
Thanks! I'm just glad it didn't blow up when I turned it on. At first nothing happened when I switched on the ovens. But then I remembered that I had turned off the 20 amp breakers to wire the new wall outlets. d'oh. I wish I could relax and enjoy it but there are people riding me pretty hard to crank out some forms and produce the final plastic letters (for business signs).

CF
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 5:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I could vouch for everyone in this forum; building a machine like that in just 7 days.....man......

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PARATECH1
Expert

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the idea of the way you built the frame raise/lower system looks like a pretty cool idea.

Any chance of you posting a few close up photos (attachment points to frame, photos of the materials used and how you may hold up the frame when it is raised).

Again, you did a really good job.
crashmann
Guru

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PARATECH1 wrote:
how you hold up the frame when it is raised

It looks like a loop of velcro wrapped around the handle and the cross brace. If you need to hold the plastic a little lower, just lengthen the velcro.

Charlie
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CrazyFool
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vader
You really made me laugh... thanks!!

PARATECH1
Sorry for taking so long to post photos. I made a (very simplified) version of another guy's pulley system idea I saw somewhere on this forum.

crashmann
Yep, it's velcro. Not the best system but I was in a hurry.

And now for some photos. Any and all comments/questions/criticisms welcome. Just remember... I was in a hurry! lol

CF
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well done! I can't wait to see some pulls from your creation. I'm glad you found this site helpful. The folks around here are a great bunch, and we like to help.

Great job on your machine!

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
ahillworks
Master

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That looks awesome kinda gives me some ideas. I am still scared to do the nichrome wire but the way things are looking may have to give it a shot.
DarthVader1
Expert

PostPosted: Fri May 23, 2008 8:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CrazyFool wrote:
Vader
You really made me laugh... thanks!!

Always my pleasure, and known to be that way all the time. ....but, from the bottom of my heart as well. You deserve it!

jegner wrote:
Well done! I can't wait to see some pulls from your creation. I'm glad you found this site helpful. The folks around here are a great bunch, and we like to help.

Great job on your machine!

I second that completely! A little help from some expert in a COMPLTETELY DIFFERENT JOB or FIELD could be of great help in here a well...maybe inspire some who are looking into that job field (I did it years ago, but just signs and banners....not to THAT level of expertise).

Please, post some progress (job ongoing) pics just to (AHEM, AHEM) get us happy, and show us what YOU can prove, pride of, and achieved with what we could call from now on.........."THE 7 DAY MACHINE!" Wink

View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PARATECH1
Expert

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 8:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for taking the time and putting up the photo's of your pully system. I really do appreciate it.

The new photo's really show off your machine and how good a job you did in putting it together. The attention to detail of the text on top of the photo's really was nice.

All around good job.
LaughingCheese
Expert

PostPosted: Sat May 24, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Awesome machine CrazyFool!

I have decided to build one like that, seems like it would save space.

Can you give a total cost estimate?

Oh, and did you design it yourself or did you have plans?

Thanks,

LC
TK 109
Guru

PostPosted: Sun May 25, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gotta see those pulls! i gotta say, i LOVE this table! Very Happy

-------------------------------------------------------

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 1 of 10

Jump to: