www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
gas oven

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff
View previous topic :: View next topic  
superjesus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 3:13 am    Post subject: gas oven Reply with quote

just throwing this out there.anyone ever built a gas oven for vac forming? if so, how was the results? im guessing its a lot harder to get even heat distribution compared to other methods. i was thinking if you built a reflective hood much like the over under prototform type setup you could place a row of gas burners bbq style a few inches below that heat up and reflect back down to the plastic and by experimenting with the burner settings and the distance from reflector to plastic you could maybe get suitable even heat. if you had no other option how would you go about using gas for heating? burners under? reflective? convection? something cool i havnt thought of?
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only gas fired vf I've seen on this forum was that of braziltrooper. The pics of it are no longer available for viewing. There's a link to a site in his last post. There was another discussion and I think some pics of someone who was using gas for a small tj type vf. I can't find them either. To save you a lot of wasted time, forget about gas. There is no avenue to gas, on the scale you want, without spending a lot of money.
You may have to work within your constraints, and build a smaller machine that you're able to feed without blacking out everything. I'm not trying to be a wet blanket, but sometimes we have to settle for what we can get. You can always get more later, besides you'll never be happy with just one machine. It'll be like the three bears, this one is to big, this one is to small, but this one is just right Laughing .................Fredo
superjesus

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2011 10:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers mate, i think i may have to build myself a smaller machine for now and upgrade later. no worries, thought id just throw the gas thing out there for anyone who had tried it. maybe ill pull apart an old bbq when i get some spare time and have an experiment.
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

superjesus wrote:
cheers mate, i think i may have to build myself a smaller machine for now and upgrade later. no worries, thought id just throw the gas thing out there for anyone who had tried it. maybe ill pull apart an old bbq when i get some spare time and have an experiment.

I like the idea of experimentation! That's how new things come about. However, I'd have to agree with Fredo on this one. Go with the proven technology if you want to get up and running as quickly as possible. I think Spektr may have some experience with gas too. He is always a good source.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There have been several members here that have used gas to fire their ovens. It does work, but it soots up if you are not careful. I did a test with a Coleman camp stove once upon a time. It worked but not as good as nichrome wire.

Blaxmyth and IIRC, ANH Trooper both did gas ovens with some success, but eventually upgraded to nichrome or cal rods. Blaxmyth even did a coal fired oven, IIRC.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jdougn
Guru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jegner wrote:
There have been several members here that have used gas to fire their ovens. It does work, but it soots up if you are not careful. I did a test with a Coleman camp stove once upon a time. It worked but not as good as nichrome wire.

Blaxmyth and IIRC, ANH Trooper both did gas ovens with some success, but eventually upgraded to nichrome or cal rods. Blaxmyth even did a coal fired oven, IIRC.

The coal fired oven I would like to see! I can believe that someone with the forum name of Blaxmyth would get something like that to work. A blacksmith's forge has to put out lots of evenly controlled heat so it shouldn't be too much harder to make it heat plastic.
ANH trooper
Master

PostPosted: Sun Jun 19, 2011 4:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gas works!

I had four small burners inside my oven. Each had a kind of deflector shield I made for them to distribute the heat better and it worked out great.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Fredo
Master

PostPosted: Fri Jul 08, 2011 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's the thread with links to Blaxmyths forced air, coal fired vacuum former. Page 4&5 in the link. http://www.tk560.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=1482 Seems to be really simple, the air from the vacuum cleaner exaust would help the coal burn cleaner. The hot air seems to be collected by some type of hood. It looks as though it does the job with hips.... Where there's a will, there's a way...........Fredo
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Vacuum Forming & General Stuff All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: