www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
$100 AK?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 2:55 pm    Post subject: $100 AK? Reply with quote

Right now, if you look around, you can find Romanian Ak47 parts kits for less than $100. This price does not include the needed 922r US made required parts, but those amount to $60. And a DIY 80% receiver flat for $15. A set of screws or rivets for $10.

If you are handy, you can make your own receiver for next to nothing, or buy a finished one for $55. This amounts to a pretty cheap way to make an semi-auto AK clone. A lot cheaper than buying one for $400 plus. I guess by the time you get all the stuff needed to make one, you are looking at closer to $185. Still, it sounds like a fun project.

If this sounds like something you want to do, I suggest getting a parts kit before the supply dries up, and demand causes the price to rise. A current trend in garage building has made this project pretty popular. Here is how one fellow made his ultra cheap AK; Your mileage may varry.

http://tk560.com/AKStuff/akbuildfiles%20Folder/AK-47%20Complete%20Build.htm

[Note, this is an archive from the old Gunco.net discussion thread that is no longer there]
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: UPDATE: June 21 Reply with quote

Well, the first AK I have ever tried to make is ready for headspace checking and test firing.

Here's how I did it.

First, research. I bet I spent 3 months looking us as much info I could find. Then I needed to gather up all the parts to keep the build BATF legal. This is what I did:

$99 Romanian parts kit from www.copesdist.com
$39 G-2 semi-auto Fire Control Group from Copes [includes trigger, disconnector, and sear]
$10 US made muzzel break from Copes.
$55 DCI/NoDakSpud 100% finished 'economy' receiver from www.nodakspud.com
Rivet kit $9 from AK-builder.com
Home made resin pistol grip.
$5 Transfer fee from my local FFL.

The grip, fire control group, receiver, and muzzle break are needed to comply with the 922r requirements to keep the number of imported parts to 10. There are 16 recognized parts on an AK-type rifle so six parts needed to be replaced with US made ones.

I had a magazine, but these can be found for $10 + just about everwhere that sells guns.

The only special tools I used on this build were a $100 shop press, I wanted for other projects as well, and a modified $15 bolt cutter from Harbor Freight, I used as my rivet squisher.

A dremel and a drill were used to remove the remainants of the old receiver, and once the front and rear trunion, and trigger guard were free, it was a matter of assembly.

Some folks do what is called a 'screw build', but I wanted to keep it as close to original as I could, and that meant rivets. Something I have never dealt with before. I did goober a few rivets, but in the end, I polished the rivet heads, and they look fine.

To put the rivets on the front trunion, the barrel had to be removed, and this required the shop press to punch out the barrel cross pin. Once that was out, I pressed out the barrel, and started squishing rivets. The Romanian kit was cut from a brand new gun, so the barrel was unfired, and tight, making a loud pop noise when it started moving!

The tolerances are so tight in fact, I had to bake the assembled receiver in the oven @ 350 degrees, and freeze the barrel for 30 mins, in order to get the barrel back in the front trunion, but once that was done, it was all but re-assembling the parts back on the gun.

The 2 pins that hold the fire-control parts I held them in place with 'E' clips from the hardware store instead of using that goofy sheppard's hook.

I did not care for the lower front grip's pistol handle found on the 'G' version of the Romanian guns, so I removed that with a bandsaw to give the AK that classic Kalashnikov look. Then stripped and stained the wood an even military red/brown finish, and topped it with Tung-Oil.

I also used DupliColor 1200 degree black paint to paint the receiver black. This is somewhat experimental, and if it comes off, I'll repaint with a 'proper' finish.

If the head spacing check out, I'll test fire that thing very soon, and will report how it shoots.

Total cost was NOT $100, but fun to do, and cost was closer to $215. Still half of the cost of a factory built semi-auto Romanian AK Rifle.

Still on the workbench, a Yugoslavian underfolder. This one will have a battlefield pick-up look to it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Function testing and test firing of both AKs went without a hitch. Time to sight them in!
Stomper
Master

PostPosted: Fri Jul 14, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to own a Poly-Technologies (Chinese) AK47 with a side folding stock, it shot SWEET with barely any recoil, I sold it to my brother-in-law for double what I paid a few years back as ammo was getting scarce because of all them freaks using them in crimes, and talk of banning them, etc.

I have an Israeli Galil chambered in .308 and I LOVE that rifle! It's basically a much improved AK design... same deal, barely any recoil (for me at least) and while standing, I can empty the entire 20rnd. magazine VERY RAPIDLY into less than a 6" area from 100 meters just using iron sights.... ahem, of course I have the benefit some "trigger time" in the past. Shocked
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 7:36 am    Post subject: Range Report AKs Reply with quote

Well, the Yugoslavian holds a tighter group, and shoots well regardless of the sewer pipe looking barrel bore. The whole gun needs to be reblued, but other than that, it's a real treat. The folding stock is hard on the cheek, though.

The Romanian shoots pretty well. I can hit a 5 inch disc at 50 yards, open sight. But beyond that, and the crude sights become an issue. I should set up some game size targets at 100 yards and see what I can do.

For anyone who can legally own a semi-auto version of the Klashinkov Rifle, are handy with some basic shop tools, and have a Saturday to burn, I think this is a great little project.

Time to stock up on ammo, and hit the range.
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 22, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: UPDATE: 22 - MAY -2008 Reply with quote

Well, gone are the days of the $100 AK parts kits. Oh, well, I did have a chance to build up an AK or two and it was a lot of fun to build, and to shoot. Now, the parts kits are at least $150. The 'gov-mint' closed down the importation of barrels so the kits supply lines have been cut. I'd expect to see these kits continue to go up and up. I'm glad I did this project when I did. Now, 2 years later, I look back and wish I had gotten a dozen kits. I could have resold them and made some green. Oh, well.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Weapons Locker All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: