www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
hello to all!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself
View previous topic :: View next topic  
deathstarjanitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:04 pm    Post subject: hello to all!!!!! Reply with quote

So i am Chris or DSJ or deathstarjanitor whichever you prefer. I am VERY new to this as in so new i haven't built my table yet and have never molded anything but am hoping to change all of that. I am sure that at some point i will be picking your brains and asking a ton of questions. So i thank you in advanced for helping me and being patient. I look forward to speaking with as many of you as I can.
coffeehedake
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Man, I gotta get that transfer to Coruscant"

Welcome aboard!

You're in good company.

It would appear that a lot of us here are still in the process of building, researching, etc. However, there are some really knowledgeable people here, who really seem to like to help!

Give a shout if there's anything I can do, and have a look around. Smile

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the warm welcome. Good to know i am in good company. You might however regret letting me ask questions. Laughing
coffeehedake
Novice

PostPosted: Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deathstarjanitor wrote:
You might however regret letting me ask questions.

Ha!

Well, I can only speak for myself, but everyone has to start somewhere. (Says the guy who hasn't built squat yet) Seriously though, I've lurked around here anonymously for a while and I find a lot of great people here, on the 501st forums, and at the Dented Helmet forums as well.

Generally, everyone is very encouraging, and at some times they go WAY out of their way to help.

As a fellow newbie though, I'd say read everything you can, as the adage goes, "knowledge is power." The more you research, the more angles you can approach to find the solution, and you find different opinions that may all work.

There's a bunch of books you can check out, including James E. Egner (TK560's Site Admin) II's Build Your Own Vacuum Form Machine which he outlines here.

I'm still reading through The Prop Builder's Molding and Casting Handbook by Thurston James, which Jegner recommends as well.

There's some considerations to make too, like whether you're going to go with a 220V machine, a 110V, etc... making sure you have the wiring available in your house (my current dilemma, as I'd like a 220V machine but don't have a clue how to put in a receptacle or attach it to the breaker) but most of the folks here can at least lend advice. (Sometimes that means, hire a professional, which can be the best kind of advice at times)

Hope that at least gets you started, and don't worry if the answers prompt for new questions. We're all here trying to help each other. Smile
Guru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chris (DSJ), glad you're here. Coffee gave a good response to the general atmosphere around here. I'd add don't get too excited if a question doesn't get answered immediately. Sometimes it takes a few days. I think I've still got a post floating around from weeks or months ago that doesn't have an answer!

DougN
deathstarjanitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the welcome Doug. So far the atmosphere here is very friendly and i can handle the waiting.

Thats part of my dilema not really sure what type of machine i want to build. But i will be sure to check out those books you mentioned. Thanks for all the advice
jegner
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the board!
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Introduce Yourself All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: