www.TK560.com Forum Index www.TK560.com
Vacuum Forming, Movie Prop, Sci-fi and GIjOE Forum

Profile  Search  Memberlist  FAQ  Usergroups
Darktrooper Progress thread (Pic intensive!)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2007 8:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alrighty then!

I managed to get the pic scanned finnally. I wish I could have made it a bit larger, but my photoshop skills arent all there yet. LMK what you think in comparison!

-tubachris
Master

PostPosted: Thu Mar 22, 2007 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finnally got off my rear and did something productive and got most of the biceps done. The only thing left is I want to add a thin pice of flat wood, just like the stuff I got for the hand guards. On the trapzoid (outside trapazoidal box where the two pieces will meet) and the front rectangular section between the angled section and the curve of the inside, is where I will add the wood to raise the details and make it cleaner looking. That'll be it for the biceps once I do that. Next up, the shoulder armor!

-tubachris
Master

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have started to design the shouldr armor today, and the hardest part of this, is getting the size of it right in comparison to my size. Some things that have to be considered is the proper curvature on the top and bottom (from the front) and the length. In the reference I have, it sticks out a few inches from the end of the actual shoulder. Here is a picture of the design compared to me. I apologize, no one around to take the pic for me, but I had to improvise. Also, its hard to see te full size, because its laying slightly at an angle on my shoulder, its actually larger than it looks...I just need some feedback and recommendations. Thanks

-tubachris
Master

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, well after much procrastination, I started the mold. I already have the first 8 layers, but it used a whole sheet of MDF (i only get to work with one sheet at a time) so I'll need to get another this week. I did do some more "research" (really just staring at the shoulder of the DT while playing the game) and did realize that it is not cut off as I one thought. It comes to a rounded point. The layer posted in the pic is what I believe the accurate shape (if looking from the top). All im going to say, this is going to be a large mold. The longest length is 1 ft, and after its done is going to be 7 1/2" tall. Very big amor piece.

-tubachris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Keep us updated! Looking good!

I run through MDF pretty fast too. Currentyl on the second Endor Donut mold.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jegner wrote:
Keep us updated! Looking good!

I run through MDF pretty fast too. Currentyl on the second Endor Donut mold.

Jim

Whats the Endor donut you speak of? lol, sounds like an ewok culture food. But yea, its hard having to work with only one sheet at a time. Thanks!

-tubachris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Endor Commando Donut, part of the headgear, as seen in Return of the Jedi.

Jim
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, the rebal headgear that they wear? I was thinking that may have been it, but wasnt sure. I would like to see that when its done!

-tubachris
Master

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost as big as my foot...

Expert

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2007 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH the joys of mold making !!
Keep up the fine work.
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2007 10:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For any of you guys going to CIV, (I cant-no money/transportation:cry ) I just found out that they are going to have a 501st panel with representatives of each class. The special ops COG will be making a presentation, and is going to include pictures of the helmet progress and will make note of it being a battle front dark trooper, also will put my full name with it for credit. Yes, I have a last name, but you'll never figure out my middle (for those that actualy see the presenation) I may not be there, but im happy that my project will be getting more attention.

-tubachris
Master

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well upon further thought and planning, I have decided im going to scratch build an oven for the vac-former. I went to home depot and picked up some hardibacker 1/2" cement board, 15amp plug, switch box, 20 amp switch and only 10 ft of 10-2 G romex wire. I still need to get the nichrome wire, ceramic posts and the appropriate screw and such. I have most of it, but I need to get the last parts online.

-tubachris

(And I have no idea what Im getting myself into..)
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The oven is not too hard to do. Scary to think about, but not hard to actually do.

The Thurston James design works well for the size holding frames us trooper armor makers require, and no 'off-the-shelf' solution is cheaper than the nichrome wire and ceramic post option. IMHO.

Here is a link that might help:

http://www.tk560.com/vactable4.html look at the module 4 section.

Jim
tubachris85x
Master

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jegner wrote:
The oven is not too hard to do. Scary to think about, but not hard to actually do.

The Thurston James design works well for the size holding frames us trooper armor makers require, and no 'off-the-shelf' solution is cheaper than the nichrome wire and ceramic post option. IMHO.

Here is a link that might help:

http://www.tk560.com/vactable4.html look at the module 4 section.

Jim

Yes, I have been using your tutorial and I am trying to replicate your oven (hope you dont mind Very Happy ) since its the same size as my platen surface. I have a question though. I was looking at the oven wire layout diagram from the Thurston James handbook, and was wondering what measurements did you use between each row of wires? The spacing looks even, but Im afraid of drawing it all out and not being to size. Also, are the walls of your oven actually attached to the base where the coils are? I couldnt really tell, or I may just be mis-reading something. Thank Jim!

-tubachris
Site Admin

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2007 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The layout is really hit or miss, but if I recall correctly, the outer band is 1 inch apart, and the inner ones are 2 inches. At least that will get you started. It took me a time or two to get it right. Remember, the base of your oven is 28 inches square. The chimney or oven walls are just sitting there on the oven floor. I can take them off, replace, mod, etc.

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    www.TK560.com Forum Index -> Costumes & Equipment All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 4 of 24

Jump to: